A&P Tamron Warranty - Anyone deal with them?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Wobistdu, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

My Tamron 17-50 is wonderful. Sharp as fuck and my most used lens. Once in a while the bitch will error out like no lens is attached. Have to unlock, rotate, and relock the lens on the body. It's like the contacts are acting up. Other lenses don't have a problem.

I read that tamron lenses do this. What can I expect on turnaround time?

2. bobasaur

bobasaur New Member

Sand in your tokina, now this. Your running into some bad luck!!

3. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

nah had this problem almost from new. i just put up with it. it's not that big of a deal to just rotate and reseat, but i'd like to fix it while i don't really need it

4. nine

nine OT Supporter

my canon 17-55 doesn't do that :dunno:

5. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

i sense you trying to make a sarcastic joke here

my turd shit 50 1.8 didn't either. happy?

6. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

oh nice. i see other people having the problem and sending it in. tamron is like "we can't duplicate the problem." nothing worse than random problems. it's like taking a car to a mechanic. it acts up the whole way there, then works fine when he's looking at it.

7. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

oh and if anyone has a recommendation on the best way to clean the contacts on lens/body let me know. i'd appreciate it. will try that first.

8. derekOT

derekOT New Member

:ugh:

dude wtf is your problem?

9. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

it's not the contacts, they just do that. 17-50, 70-200, etc. Every single tamron I've ever owned/rented in nikon mount did it now and then.

10. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

:rofl::rofl: well that is depressing

11. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

lol shaddup

12. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

Just had my 70-200 shipped in for a problem and it was less than a week from when they got it.

The problem was it would just stop focusing. If I turned the camera on and off it would start working. I have not really used the lens since getting it back but testing it the problem seems to be fixed.

13. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

wow awesome turn around time

yeah it will f-- error out and need a reseat to fix.

14. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

Yeah I was really shocked.

They will probably just clean the contacts but hey might as well use the warranty service because if it keeps happening you have a record so you can bitch heavily at them.

15. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

how does one clean the contacts if i wanted to do it?

16. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

:dunno: I read everything online from pencil erasers to rubbing alcohol.

I did it more because if I have to send it in a couple of times I will start bitching and moaning to their customer service to see what I can get.

17. asdfbunk

asdfbunk A Member OT Supporter

you're in IT and you don't know how to clean copper electrical contacts? :rofl:

18. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

ummm... how often does IT come in to "contact" (no pun) with that type of thing? never

19. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

posting the same thing here I emailed to you:

This isn't a Tamron/Sigma/third party issue. I've had it happen with a number of lenses on a number of systems. It just means the contacts aren't connecting right, and they aren't transmitting the right voltage. Usually this happens on new lenses because the contacts are smooth and shiny and slippery, and electricity doesn't transmit very well through polished materials.

Scuff up the contacts with some light sandpaper, or spend an hour or so just repeatedly putting the lens on and taking it off, so it has a chance to remove the polish and establish a solid metal to metal connection.

20. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

thanks jared got your email. i will try

21. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

lemme know how it goes. It's definitely a seating issue, otherwise it would happen all the time. I've had one bad lens that I had to send back (a Canon 50mm on a Canon Elan 7E) that just wouldn't hold a connection... But any other time i've seen it I've been able to reduce or eliminate it by allowing the contacts to establish a better connection...

22. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

:eek3::eek3::eek3::eek3:

This will give me something to do tonight.

23. TheManLouisianaFace

The tamrons do something a little different. Even if you get them seated, the body stays confused as fuck until you power cycle it. Has something to do with the electronics in their lenses being a little "off" with talking to the body.

If it was a contact problem, simply reseating would take care of it. My 18-135's plastic mount is worn and loose, so I have to jiggle it now and then to make contact/regain contact.

Tamron's require the power cycle regardless of seating.

24. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

I wish I could say i've seen that. :dunno:

I swap my lenses out at will, no power cycles, no reseatings, no nuthing... I've actually NEVER seen it with one of my bodies, and I can't understand how I keep getting so lucky...

Seriously - 2 d80's, 1 d200 and 1 d700, and a Tamron 90mm, 17-50mm, and 3 28-75mm's, and i've NEVER seen what you're saying.

My shooting partner had the issue with his D80 and 17-50, I'll give him a call later and see if it still does it, and if it happens like you guys are saying it does...

Not saying you're wrong, but maybe I should start playing the lottery... :noes:

25. TheManLouisianaFace

Yeah, I don't know if it's a nikon cpu thing or what the pattern is. If there even is a pattern. I'm pretty sure this is l33t's experience, I remember him saying he has to power cycle the body regardless of seating.

Main offenders seem to be the 17-50 and 70-200. The 70-200 would refuse to focus on me about once a day, and the body would be locked up and I'd have to power cycle.