A&P Tamron 28-75 - Do I give in to that which I hate?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Wobistdu, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

Jared has pretty much convinced me to buy this. I love my primes more than anything, but it's tough to get moving objects :wtc:

28-75 owners please chime in.

2. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Guest

i had one, didnt like it
    focus was too noisy and slow, hunted in low light
    and wasn't very sharp, but that might have just been my copy

3. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

biggest reason i never wanted a tamron. but it appears when you do find a soft copy it's insanely sharp for the money

4. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

It's hit and miss, but the newer models are better than the older models. We owned 2 28-75's and they were nothing but great. Very sharp at both ends, wide open, and up until about f/8.

People say it is slow to focus and is noisy...boo fucking hoo. The difference between this at $350 and the Nikon/Canon 24-70 @ $1500, yeah, I'll take a little "noise" and a little slower AF.

And don't quote me on this, but I think there is an AF-S version of this lens out now too.

5. Climbing Cracker

Climbing Cracker I am the Devil. And I am here to do the Devil's w

mine sucked.

6. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

i had 2 of them, the one i bought new was tack sharp. the old one i picked up used wasn't as sharp. only reason i got rid of the one i bought new was to get the 17-50 because 28 as the widest lens on a crop body is fail.

7. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

I just bought another copy. I had one that I bought for weddings. Didn't like it because it's too slow to focus in low light so I sold it. However, for studio work where I have to shoot a large number of products, it will be an ideal lens so I bought another one.

8. 1992 240SX

1992 240SX New Member

What about the Sigma 24-70? I remember a second version of it was coming out when I was considering that range.

9. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

yeah i believe there is a newer version out for the 17-50 and 28-75... cuz they are now like $450 :wtc:

10. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Guest

just get a nikon 24-70 f/2.8 G :mamoru:

11. tetsuo

:werd: i think there's a hsm version out now, which should help a lot with focusing speed and noise. i had a copy of the old one and it wasn't much quieter than the 28-75 and my copy back focused like crazy.

12. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

i haven't invested in one of the trinity lenses yet, but i will buy the 70-200 or 80-200 before the 24-70.

13. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

14. 1992 240SX

1992 240SX New Member

15. tetsuo

16. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

if you are on a crop, get the 17-50

17. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

yeah it isn't that appealing at that price :mamoru:

i'd have to try them both. my 35prime is manageable to the point i don't feel like i'm too tight on my d90. i feel i may regret not having the 50-75 range. plus i already have the tokina 11-16

18. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

I'm just gonna repeat what I emailed you, except in bullet point form...

- It's HSM now. Focus is silent and the speed ain't bad.

- You already have the 11-16mm. What will you miss more - 16-28 or 50-75? I'd rather have the long end.

- Out of the 3 copies I bought, 2.5 of them would have been great. By 2.5, I mean that 1 out of the 5 wasn't sharper than my 50mm 1.8. (at f4) The other two are. It was still decently sharp, just not as sharp as the other two.

- $450 vs $1800. Lets just remember what we're comparing this too. It has no other real competition. It destroys anything else that anyone would even consider entering into the ring.

19. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

i took your advice to heart. i'm 99.9% convinced just from what you said, but I need to wait a while to buy it. in the mean time, i can only talk about it on here :(

20. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Yeah, I know. I just figured i'd throw what we talked about into the conversation here so others can toss some ideas around too.

wtf did you get banned for?

21. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

racial slur in the main

22. NYM3

NYM3 Is this teal life or is it....fanta-sea?

fixed :x:

23. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

why the hate bro? it's the holidays :wtc:

24. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

Dude, you have ~33-34 posts per day, on average, since your signed up 5.5 years ago...Step away from the damn computer!

Jared has some valid points, but take a look at your shooting style. For me, I sit more in the wide angle realm than the normal/telephoto so for me the 17-50 made a lot more sense (and the lens is fucking tits!). I'd like a normal zoom like the 28-75 again, but just don't "need" it right now.

Tamron makes 2 great lenses...the 17-50 and the 28-75. Other than that, the rest are pretty soft and meh. Some backfocus, some aren't as sharp as others...while the backfocusing seems to be more of a tamron issue, getting a sharp copy or a non-sharp copy plagues all brands.

25. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

yeah i burn a lot of time at work on OT

and points noted thx