WEB Tampering with Websites with Firefox?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by IrrelevantNotch, Feb 27, 2008.

1. IrrelevantNotch

IrrelevantNotch New Member

Does anyone know of any FireFox extensions which can be used to be permantly change the layout of a website? Web Developer and FireBug both allow plenty of tampering, but everything gets reset as soon as the page is refreshed. What I'd like to do is create a permanent change in the CSS of a particular website, so if anyone has any suggestions I'd be glad to hear them.

Thanks for your time,
    IN

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  2. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

are you talking about applying a CSS style sheet to automatically load with certain websites? i know that's possible.

edit- oh, i just looked and i guess that's in IE. there's probably a firefox addon that does it though.

3. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

hmm, well i found a way to apply styles permanently to all your pages if that helps.

in your profile directory in firefox you can make a custom .css file that will load on all the pages firefox loads. for me (in vista) it was in C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\{randomcrap}.default\chrome

then you can make a "userContent.css" file and put it in there and it will use those settings. however the authors original CSS will prevail over your CSS unless you put !important next to the ones you want to overwrite theirs.

like if you did this

userContent.css:
    *{
    display: none !important;
    }

nothing would show up. hope that helps.

4. TheDarkHorizon

TheDarkHorizon \xC0\xFF\xEE

You can use GreaseMonkey and create a script to do it.

5. are you talking about changing the layout of a website that doesn't belong to you?

6. MaK10

MaK10 OT Supporter

I'm pretty sure he just wants it to look different when he goes to it on his machine. So it loads a local stylesheet instead of the one on the server. It wouldn't actually change the page for anyone other than himself (or anyone on his computer) unless i'm misunderstanding.

7. ahhh ok, i see what you mean. i'm sure there are a couple plug-ins that can do that for firefox then.

8. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

ya, web devloper plug in does this but the thread starter was upset because it's not persistent, it does it on a page by page basis. you can actually turn on persistant features under options on the web developer plugin and it works except everytime the page loads it asks you which style sheet to load again, which is kind of annoying :hs:

9. Deevan

Deevan Active Member

Wait, you can override inline styles too? That's kind of awesome.

10. IrrelevantNotch

Hmm, well my problem is a pretty simple one. All I want to do is override one of their CSS functions from

link:visited {color: #83946} to link:visited {color: blue}

Looks like I'll have to tinker around with both Greasemonkey and L_B's suggestions for a bit to see if I can get it to work.

Thanks guys!

11. IrrelevantNotch

Yes, but wouldn't that affect the CSS of all pages I visit? I really only wanted to affect the CSS of one site in particular. (edit. actually, since I only want to affect visited:link colors, maybe this wouldn't be such a bad idea).

edit2. W00t! Got it. Thanks for suggesting userContent L_B, greasemonkey would've been a pain in the ass to figure out (though now I feel I HAVE figure it out).

Thanks,
    IN

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  12. exify

exify Active Member

there's a plugin called stylish that does exactly this