GUN Talking to your family about being prepared V. SHTF situations and what to do.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Ghostrider4450, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Ghostrider4450

Ghostrider4450 New Member

I am going to get my family together (those of us that live in the Sarasota/Tampa area...so about 15 of us) and discuss what our plan would be in the event of a big disaster/society collapse. I want to get everyone on the same page and to get their minds prepared for what could inevitably be an extremely hard time. I have spoken in passing to a few family members about this and they seemed pretty receptive, especially with the way the economy is going now.

Any ideas on how to approach this? Have any of you guys done this with your respective families?

2. Hypnos_VI

Hypnos_VI JENGA!

I don't really bother with getting everyone in on my plan, most people look at it like a joke and right you off as paranoid.

I personally have a plan in my head and when SHTF I'll in form everyone on what's going down (granted I'm only including no more than 10-15 people in on this.

3. Ghostrider4450

I think that the reaction you get is largely based on how you approach it. My family is a very tight knit family. So it would be more of a, "hey guys, this shit CAN and HAS happened, what have we done to prepare ourselves for a big disaster type event?"

Im not talking about stocking up half a million rounds of ammo and building a bomb shelter to protect us from the aliens. I mean talking to your family about mental and some physical preparedness. I dont know about you, but I care about my whole family and I know we all stand a better chance of surviving something big together than as separate groups. Its just common sense.

4. Ghostrider4450

Also, waiting until the last minute to inform everyone of what to do is a recipe for total disaster. How will you inform them of everything if the communications infastructure is fucked? It pays to at least have thought about what to do ahead of time. Again, im not talking about stockpiling 10 years of rice and having a basement full of 50 gallon water drums. But a little preparedness ahead of time goes a long way when you really need it.

5. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Let me preface this post by saying my family is rather liberal. My parents are registered Democrats and my mom is voting for Obama. They live in Toronto while I live in Illinois, an eight hour drive. My girlfriend lives three hours away and her family lives another hour away.

I've spoken with my parents about if SHTF (weather, attack, etc.) and we've agreed that what makes the most sense is for me to go to my girlfriend's parents' house because 1) I can make it on one tank of gas therefore wouldn't have to stop, 2) Canada would probably be unaffected in the event of a terrorist attack on the US and 3) the bug-out location has an armory and other supplies to complement my own.

I started the conversation by saying, "I'm concerned because the world has been pretty unstable and I think we need to talk about what we as a family would do since we're so far apart." They listened to what I had to say and they agreed to the plan that I had thrown together. They don't know about the extent of my preparations because that would only make them think I'm more of a nut. I kept the dialogue to only what they needed to know for that reason. We have a plan and most of the execution is on my shoulders.

6. Ghostrider4450

See that is exactly what I am talking about. Getting them prepared mentally for what everyone would do, and then making preparations of your own that they need not worry about. (just to avoid information overload) I think that this is an important convo for every family to have.

They don't go over the crash scenarios and show you how to put on an oxygen mask every time you fly in a plane for nothing.

7. hsracer201

hsracer201 New Member

i gave up a LONG time ago. my dad is a "fudd", so to speak, if that term is used here. he thinks i am nuts for owning 1 AR, much less as many as i do. :(

good luck tho! :)

8. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I would approach it as preparing for natural disaster such as a earchquake (west coast), or huricane (east coast). Most people can get behind this. Make plans for supplies, meeting points, etc.

Work in the real possibility of people who are not prepared trying to take supplies from people who are prepared, or general scum-fucks taking advantage of lack of law and order. Those that are inclined to try to protect themselves can discuss measures they are willing to take away from any of those that are opposed to the idea until their neck deep in it.

9. Ghostrider4450

UPDATE: I spoke with a few other family members and they all unanimously agreed that wee as a family need to come up with a disaster plan and so this thanks giving we are going to go camping up at crystal river springs and I will be teaching them a survival workshop and general information on how to live off the land in both central and the western coast of FL. I spoke with my mother, and pointed her in the direction to find and purchase some land (2-4 acres out away from any cities) out in central FL as a place for us to go camping and to get away for the weekend. But also as a place to bug out and get away in the event of any kind of SHTF. So I was extremely surprised at the positive reception to this idea. I mean I presented it in such a way as to avoid being plastered as a nut, and more like I wanted our family to be prepared in the event something does go horribly wrong.

We want to drop a well (both electric and hand pump) on the property, and build a small cabin. So far this is working out pretty well.

10. Ghostrider4450

Yeah, this is exactly how I presented it to my family (with the exception of a few who I knew understood what could really happen...my mom being one of them surprisingly...who actually said pretty much the same things you just said)

11. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

I'm working on this with my family. I think my mom is starting to come around when she asked me to put together a list of things they should have in case of disaster. She mentioned that it probably wouldn't do much good to have tons of food, water, and medical supplies without a way to defend it from the people who would want to take it from them. But she didn't take that last step of moving toward firearms ownership. My dad's a bit more apathetic...I guess I can't blame him since he's traveling two out of every three weeks.

12. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

READ:

Listening to Katrina

This will tell you everything you could possibly want to know, from a (avid gun-owner and survivalist) guy who experienced and gives practical commentary and information.