Talking to women at work

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by RyeLou, Aug 28, 2007.

1. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I work at a sales counter at a service shop. I personally find it easy to talk to people anywhere, but seeing as I work when I do I actually get paid to do it. Where I work everyone is pretty laid back, so I highly doubt either of my bosses would care, but how does it look from the other side of the counter? Is it appropriate to ask for someones number or something like that while you're at work? And that brings me to another point...when I'm writing someone an order at work, the first thing I say is "What's your phone number?" That's how we store all of the info in the computers. With that said...it seems to put me in a weird place considering I technically already have the number I'd be asking for. And I can't really joke about just calling it instead of asking for it because that's super fuckin' creepy. Do I just ask for it like I would anywhere else? Odds are the number they give me for work is a general home number and they would give me a personal cell number for other use.

I probably put too much thought in to this. A good looking woman came into work today and got me thinking about it though...we were slow as hell with nothing to do.

2. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Don't do it. Period. From a managerial perspective, IF you happen to creep out or scare off that one customer, chances are she's going to tell the people she knows about what happened. There goes even more potential business you might otherwise have had.

3. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I don't know. I would have agreed with you this morning, but a woman came in at the end of the day who may have changed my opinion. She was a year or so younger than me but close to my age. We were pretty much closed so she stood up at the front counter with me just talking. You can kind of tell when someones feeling you and when they're not, ya know? I would agree there are certainly things you cannot under any situation do/say at work, but within those strict limits I'd think some things would be acceptable. I guess if you're feeling it and you're not being an ass hole or anything there isn't any harm in saying something like, "A bunch of us from here are meeting at (insert public place here), you should come by" Still impersonal but obviously if she shows up she was at least not hating you before. I guess it works out for me because most of the guys in the back are my age and we all hang out once in a while outside of work.