SRS Talking to friends about relationships

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by MissKitty, Feb 10, 2010.

1. MissKitty

MissKitty If squats were easy they'd be called 'Your Mum' OT Supporter

Do you have one friend who you talk to about your relationship? Do you feel the need to talk to someone other than your partner? Is your partner okay with you talking to someone about what happens? Are you okay with your partner talking to a friend about what goes on in your relationship?

I have a few close friends who I talk to and my husband understands that sometimes I need to vent or talk through things and I can't do it with him.

I have a good friend who confides in me, but her SO doesn't believe she should. He doesn't think she should talk to anyone other than him. I find this unhealthy and I know how much she gets by talking things through with me. He suffers depression and sometimes his behaviour can be questionable (as in like a spoilt brat, teenager, erratic, not violent or abusive). He finds it hard to trust people and so he doesn't trust me to deal with the information I get from my friend responsibly. I have no interest in causing trouble in their relationship but she is starting to talk about not talking to me about them at all and i don't think that is healthy. She is a talker, she is logical and she needs someone to run through with so she can understand the situations she is dealing with.

I am a fixer and I want to do what I can to help without stepping over his boundaries or hers, but my loyalty is to my friend and I am the only one she can talk to as her newish relationship is very similar to mine when i met my husband.

If you don't believe your SO should talk to friends, why not? Is it due to lack of trust for the person they are telling? is it something else?

I have some experience with depression but I don't know how to deal with someone who I am not meant to know has depression. :o

2. Vysion

Vysion New Member

Women talk to solve their problems. Men need to understand this fact. Men also need to realize that woman share almost everything with their best friends.

Only problem I would have with an SO would be if she didn't communicate with me as much as with her friend(s). If there's a problem in the relationship I'd like to know about it so as to resolve them. Some women are too closed off with their SO's, yet they share every secret detail with there best friends. If you're in a romantic relationship with someone you should be able to share most things with that person too.

3. seismic

seismic New Member

He sounds like he has control issues and I wouldn't be surprised if he's emotionally abusive.