A&P talk to me about seamless...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by jared_IRL, Aug 13, 2009.

1. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

I just got a product photgraphy job shooting for a company that makes corrogated advertising displays for store endcaps, and such...

Largest size i'll be shooting is 65"x24"x24", smallest size is 10"x10"x10"...

So I need some seamless and a stand. I just want to go with plain white, and i'm really digging the reflective floor thing, but i'm not sure if that goes well with professional product photography.

My instinct tells me to just buy what Zack is using and call it a day. But I wanted OT's input.

http://www.zarias.com/?p=71

Thoughts?

2. Mutombo

Mutombo New Member

I was going to link you to Zack's page, but I see you already found it. When I buy seamless, I'm getting his setup.

3. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Yeah, I've been looking for a reason to buy his setup... :naughty:

How the fuck do you transport a 9' long seamless though!?!?!

I have to go to them, and I can only find 9' and 4.5'.... That's crazy!

4. Total Xenocide

Total Xenocide OT Supporter

It still amazes me that a 9' roll actually fits in my integra. Just barely though.
    What do you drive?

5. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

for this kind of stuff i'd use the scion xb.... :naughty:

I'm sure I could fit it in, but it would be tight and is definitely overkill for what I need to do. I think the 4.5' would be enough, but i'd really prefer to go with a 6 or 7' just to have wiggle room...

6. mojito

mojito New Member

try the 12' :naughty:
    I just throw it on my roof rack and use 2 ratcheting tie-downs

As for color, white is great, but is somewhat difficult to work with, when coloring with gels over the background lights.

Ffor flooring, reflective is great for some things, but really not needed for that use :hs:

I hung some in my garage a while back, wanted to keep the main stand available for traveling
    [​IMG]

but then the wife found other uses for it :rofl:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Section8

Section8 .

8. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

that's awesome!

I guess if I get the 9' and it doesn't fit I can just use a really fine bladed saw to chop off a couple feet, right? Then i'd have a 7' and a 2' for small product photography work...

Hmm...

9. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

I can fit a 9' roll in my mazdaspeed 3. That was the first thing I checked before I bought the car.

You should have seen me driving home with the 9' roll in my old 350Z! It stuck out the back by a good 3' or more.

10. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

that's hilarious...

Where do you guys buy your seamless? Everyone wants to add $30-40 for shipping on this roll... Thats crazytalk.

11. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Local camera store.

12. mojito

mojito New Member

local. 9' is like 45-55 here. I looked at B&H one time and it was like $150 to ship it :rofl:

13. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

hmmm.. I wonder if I use a finish blade in a chop saw and then tape up where I want to cut to minimize tearing is I can just chop my paper.

I got my paper from Dans Camera City. It was like 55 bucks. They are located about an hour north of you. in case you can not find a supplier down where you are. I have been thinking of getting some gray in like a 4 foot

14. Section8

Section8 .

Do any of you guys use a setup like this to shoot clients at your home, say in your garage?

15. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

yes. but I use my living room if it's too hot or cold in the garage.

16. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

got the 9' artic white seamless today!

Along with a sheet of the white tileboard from Zack's tutorial, but I had to cut it in half to get it to fit in the toaster... Which is fine, because I can just PS out the seam if I need all 8' of tileboard, but I don't ever see myself needing that...

I'll be picking up the dynalights on Wednesday, so i'll have myself a perfect 3 light transportable studio!

So I spent $75 and will make $500/month with this job! I like it!

17. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

How did the 9' roll fit in the xB? I've been wanting to buy some but wasn't sure it would fit. I take it you had to lay the back seats down? That'd be a problem for me with my stereo.

18. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

It fits with the seats up...

Goes diagnol, from the passengers side windshield to the drivers side rear at thehatch window, on top of the rear seats... I just took off the rear seat headrest and it fit perfect...

Pics of stereo?

I put in two small box 10's in custom boxes under the drivers and pax seats with a nice amp and crossover in the storage space next to the spare... Completely stealth and takes up no space inside the car... Hits hard enough to shake the rear view, and you can feel the bass like you would in a system 10x louder because the subs are right under your ass... I'm a SQ guy though, so I was looking more for quality sound rather than making sure my neighbors knew i had a system...

19. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

Good to know!

No pics of my system, it's just left over from when I threw it in for a SPL comp. (I used to hold/judge SPL/SQ comps up here.) It's just a 12" RE SX and US Amps 1500w amp. I'm getting rid of it soon so I can put my lightstands and tripod in the hatch and use my back seats! I also got sick of it destroying my car, so far I've had to replace my rear wiper assembly, rear hatch handle, both lights, and my back drivers side door handle is completely fucked from all the vibrations. Sounds decent and gets loud enough. I'm hitting mid 140's on music with a single 12, so that's good enough for me! I am thinking that my next system will be a couple of 8's or 10's beneath the seat, and while I'm at it some head rest monitors and a 360 to go with my Eclipse nav and components... That or some more glass. :mamoru: Pics of underseat install?