Talk to me about s10 350 swaps.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by <Mark>, Nov 15, 2005.

1. <Mark>

<Mark> A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut wit

I have a friend who said he would sell me an 87 s10 for $150. He tells me that it has the 4.3 in it, which he would pull and a 350 should mount right up. I have another friend who has a bunch of spare parts laying around ( not sure what yet) So I could do this fairly cheaply, and have a fun weekend car...what are the pros and cons of this?

2. Fareo

Fareo New Member

Advance Adapters makes everything you need.. since it has a 4.3 a 350 will bolt right up to the existing tranny, considering the 4.3 is a 350 with 2 cylnders hacked off. but id suggest upgrading depending on the power your 350 has, also you might wanna upgrade the rear axel as well, but if its a pretty much stock 350 with less and 300hp you should be find as long as your not racing it.

if you have a good knowage of auto mechanics, a sideyard or garage or driveway and so forth and free time.. it should be a fairly easy project. cost wize, pick n pull is your friend, you got 83-93 for s10's and the 350 was in just about everything so finding parts at pick n pull should be a breeze... but its still a motor swap so its not gonna be a $50 project, theres abunch of lil stuff you gotta think of, you need a new radiator, misc hardware, new fuel/cooling lines, possabily relocating things depending on year of truck and year of motor, and of course are good friend smog.. (check you local listings)...

anyways heres some of the parts you might need >>>

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?Ntt=advance+adapters+s10&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&searchinresults=false&N=0&target=egnsearch.asp&x=20&y=7

take pix of the swap :wavey:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2005
  3. Tee

Tee New Member

pros-everything
    cons-got money for gas?

4. <Mark>

<Mark> A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut wit

Pro-not a daily driver
    Con-no driveway since I live in an apartment.

after talking to my friend and doing a bit of research I would need a new tranny, which he said he would give me. It just needs a rebuild. Its going to be carbed so I am going to need new guages, and Im going to put a fuel cell in the bed...so that eliminates 2 hassles, messing with the harnesses and fucking with most of the fuel system. (wiring the fuel pump and running the lines with the fuel cell in the bed is cake.) So it would just be a bunch of little things really, finding a radiator etc...no A/C, No power steering. (thats extra weight :))

5. Supernoma

Supernoma servus publicae OT Supporter

You'll want to go with an electric fan (not much room for a clutch fan with a V8 swap) You can use a fan from a 3.8L V6 taurus or a LT1/LS1 F-Body fans.
    You'll also need new motor mounts. If its a 4WD truck you'll need a special oil pan too.

6. cdemdec26

cdemdec26 Destroy Erase Improve

My dad has a tubbed/backhalfed 87 S10 with a built smallblock in it. He runs 11s. He got the truck as a rolling frame no motor/trans. It was already setup for a SBC. He used the AA brackets and 2.8 4 cyl mounts. Headers are a tough fit because of the shape of the frame. He's got hooker super comps and the passenger's side actually splits apart and mounts around the frame. He tried a few different radiator/fan setups before he got it to run cool too. Right now its a 80s vette radiator with an 18" fan.

7. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

you do realize that most s-series v8 swaps have better gas mileage than they did with the 4.3l's.....

8. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

:werd:

www.jagsthatrun.com

Conversion manual for dropping a small block chevy into an S-truck.

oh, and most S-trucks from 1988 and up got the 7 5/8" rear end which is the same one that went into the F-bodies. Certainly capable of handling V8 power. Earlier models got the weaker 7 1/2 rear end. It will handle stock V8 power, but I wouldn't push it much beyond that without work.

9. Priest Tango

Priest Tango Custom User Tits