Talk to me about processors please :(

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by zanyspy_dude, Jul 18, 2005.

1. zanyspy_dude

zanyspy_dude King of teh n00bz

I'm building a computer, but i'm not really sure which way to go. All it really HAS to have is a TV card. What kinda of processor should i get? I was thinking pentium 4 HT about about 3 ghz w/ 512 mb of ram(obviously system memory, not the processors).

talk to me about dual core, 64 bit computing, and my current choice. If i want this commputer to last 5 years, do i need to look into those?

TIA

love,

Dave

2. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

AT LEAST a AMD64 3500+ 939 socket.

3. jmechy

jmechy Calmer then you are.

If you want 64 bit your going with an AMD. If you want dual core, you going with an AMD. If you want a decent deal on the chip and great performance, your going AMD. Go for an NForce 4 chipset while your at it, and you should be doing preety well.

As for five years, good luck. Even if you buy top of the line now, you'll be wishing you had more power in 2 years max.

4. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Actually, it depends on what he wants out of his computer. What he uses his computer for mostly. Applications? Gaming? Can't just really throw out some answer and expect them to buy it simply because you are bias. :dunno:

Personally, I prefer AMD over Intel, especially the Venice and SD chips, but the usage of the chip will depict which chip to buy.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Sorry about all the AMD sack-riding faggots, but Intel is the choice for 5 year reliability. And Intel is the choice for media production.

6. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

There's nothing you can buy now that will last you 5 years of optimal performance. This doesn't mean that you can't use the computer 5 years from now, but it probably won't be able to accomplish what a pc 5 years from now will.

So, set your budget, decide what you will do with your pc, gaming, video, audio, etc. get the best your money can buy. AMD, Intel, whatever. Makes no difference. Especially 5 years from now.

7. Spaawn7

Spaawn7 New Member

Thank god fucking Jesus!

8. zanyspy_dude

zanyspy_dude King of teh n00bz

This isn't going to be for gaming. It will be for email and for the tv card. My dad wants it basically as a second pc. I just don't know how much processing power i'll need for that....

i just don't want it to crap out in 2 years. I wnat it to WORK for 5 years. My dad won't need to be playing doom 8 or half life 3....just the tv, email, maybe video processing (burning tv, editing the tv capture, burning dvd's etc).

Do i need to get a 64 processor for that? In 5 years, will 64 bit programs be prevelant enough that i basically have to buy one?

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you don't need 64-bit. However, Intel *WILL* last longer than AMD. I'd get the Intel P4.

10. StPatty33

StPatty33 New Member

Pepsi > Coke
    and
    AMD > Intel

11. stoliohranj

stoliohranj beautiful fucking tits man

wrong on both accounts. for what he wants RELIABILITY intel is better. it'll cost you more upfront, but it is superior in media applications (tv tuner, editing) and is usually more reliable for the long haul down the road.

12. Wiggle

Wiggle New Member

i say amd x2

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

what you're all forgetting is reliability. And Intel CPU with an Intel mobo will outlive ANY desktop-grade AMD chip/mobo combo. Simple as that.

14. MrMan

MrMan New Member

I had no problems with my AMD PCs, nor my Intel PCs (2 AMD, 5 Intels). Since I no longer buy the best out there, simply because it won't be the best in a few months, I use AMD for its value (processing power per $).

15. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

The computer will last you 5 years.

My old Dell 486 DX33 still runs. I couldn't last 5 years.

Either one you go for will provide plenty of speed for 2-3 years. Right now (this WILL change) AMD offers the opportunity to go from single 64bit to dual core on the same platform.
    I could drop a dual core CPU into my socket 939 mobo right now.
    You can't do that with Intel...yet. You will be able to do so in a matter of months.

Get whatever you want. There is nothign wrong with AMD for personal use.

For truly professional use, the biz world uses WinTel.

If you want graphics...G5 baby.