talk to me about pay-as-you-go cell phones

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by psykosis, Nov 28, 2006.

1. psykosis

psykosis Go placidly amid the noise and the haste

I'm looking to pick up something for occassional use. I've had cells before (used to work for Nextel), but I never used them. I'm looking for something I can get to just throw in the car for road trips and what not, so I don''t really want a 1-3 year contract. It looks like I will end up with Virgin Mobile, as it has better service here than other carriers (northwest MI). I'm looking at the Oystr and the Slice phones, but I've never had any experince w/ the pre-pay stuff. Anything i should know or look for?

2. psykosis

3. isolipsistl

isolipsistl New Member

i work selling cell phones so stick with virgin mobile. 18 cents a minute twenty four seven so you dont have to worry about the dollar a day verizon charges if you use it or not. cingular charges a dollar when you do use it and ten cents after. VM runs off sprint so if you need to better network, go with verizon but it is 30 bucks every month even before the minute useage. hope it helps. OH and stay away from the oyster, it breaks too easy, get the Snapper... its built to last.

4. psykosis

thanks.

sprint and cellular one have the best coverage here, so I'm kinda stuck w/ V-Mobile. And I'll look at the Snapper, though I really like the Slice...

5. IdahoSHO

IdahoSHO New Member

Ive got a Virgin Mobile pree paid cell too.

I use it just for traveling. Works okay, and service has been great, but there are LOTS of dead spots around here.

6. chris_tracy

chris_tracy New Member

i have a tmobile to go phone. it has good rates, 130 minutes for 25 dollars. i don't talk much on phones so it's great for me.

7. Teutonic27

Teutonic27 OT Supporter

T-mobile is the best for many people.

$100 will buy you 1000 min that will last 365 days.

no daily fees. 10cents/min.

Hip phones are a little pricier than virgin/cingular but that doesn't seem to be a concern for you.

g'luck

8. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I had VM for years and loved it. For my calling patterns, VM turned out to be much cheaper than any other plan (prepaid or contract) that I looked at. But I moved to an area that has zero connectivity to the Sprint network, so I had to change. I'm still looking for a good alternative to VM. I might look at TMobile.