Talk to me about late 80's Preludes...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by psykosis, Oct 30, 2005.

1. psykosis

psykosis Go placidly amid the noise and the haste

I'm going to look at one next week, and may sell my Sebring to get it, or trade if owner is willing to do so. I've driven by it, and it looks clean from the road, but I havn't had a chance to see it up close yet. Is there anything i should be looking for? Any major problem areas?

2. armond

armond New Member

3. psykosis

psykosis Go placidly amid the noise and the haste

4. armond

armond New Member

:)

I myself have a lude, but it is a 01.

5. tropic of carnage

tropic of carnage New Member

even if its got no visible rust and has low miles dont pay more than a couple grand for it. If everythings stock its probably a lot less of a gamble than if someone has *tried* to modify parts of its engine, like the air intake and bolt on turbos and shit. Some people really fuck shit up trying to make their honduhs fast.
    so basically if its still stock, clean, and its lines (fenders,hood,doors,trunk) are straight go for it. a prelude will last you forever,almost, a yoda will last you longer. :)
    gooooooooo yodas!

6. DCM

DCM New Member

They are prone to rusting on the trunk, and around the fenderwells as well. Check the sunroof for leaks, although if you open the roof and look in the front you should see two drain holes, which almost always get clogged. A little air should take care of that, although you have to be careful because those lines run through the car, so if you blow one out it will be a PITA. They are very solid cars IMO. I can't really remember much else in the way of quarks, but I loved mine. (88 Si)

OH I did remember one thing... The damned power steering runs over the top of the exhaust manifold. I had DC Sports header (on when I bought it) so that may have had something to do with it, but I busted two lines in the time I owned it. It's like a 6 foot line, and runs all the way around the back/bottom of the motor IIRC. You may not ever have a problem with it though.

Mine was red and it fought me trying to oxidize/fade. I washed/waxed the dogshit out of it though. Fun car. I'd get another one if I found one cheap enough.

7. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

Look for the sign from god that says "avoid at all cost!".

8. Maverick

Maverick Guest

3rd gen 91 Si FTW.

9. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

I beleive the non-SI was a carbed engine. An old friend of mine had a non-SI and said he always had problems with it. Sorry i dont know more than that.. i know its very vague.

10. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

In Soviet Russia, You don't talk about the preludes! The prelude talks to you :eek:

11. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

Definetly 91 Series 2 ftw.

Find the b20 version, not the b21, the models here put out 144hp, i think the US version is slightly detuned.

12. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

Definetly try to find the EFi model, we never got the SOHC out here...

13. Auspicious one

Auspicious one New Member

I attempted to do an S to SI swap on a 91 prelude, didnt have time money or enough know-how to do so, you can pm me i can give you and email bcuz my cuzzin took it over and completed it, hes been driving it for a year now. Really fun car