Talk me out of moving back to windows.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by quid, Apr 23, 2010.

1. quid

quid I Piss Excellence OT Supporter

I'm posting this here because I'd like to avoid the 12 pages of gay jokes and nonsense.

Here's my current setup:

mac mini 1.83 core duo 320 7200 drive 2gb ram / with dell 2005fwp.

3tb NAS running FreeNAS for main storage.
    3tb USB2 box to backup the NAS (2x1.5tb drives raided together by osx)

I already went through a 27" i7 iMac, and nothing said in this thread will convince me to try it again. I do not want another iMac.

So my options...

1. Lower Model current Mac Mini + SSD (or 7200rpm drive) + maxed ram + 2x 24" dells

2. Wait until June and see what the new mac pro is all about + dell 24" or 27" or 2x24"

3. Build up an i7 box and move back to windows. The real irritation here is how to deal with the 3tb backup backup box, and obviously getting the software, and no one stop shop warranty.

2. johan

johan Active Member

since your current setup is stil running and functional, what's wrong with waiting till June for a hotter Mac Pro?

You don't like the imac--fine, but of your 3 options, two are mac-based.
    So I take it that its not the mac platform you dont like, just the imac hw itself.

Therefore I'd stick with the current platform and just move the hardware to Mac Pro.

3. quid

Im really hesitant to buy another mini and I have a feeling the new pros won't be what i'm looking for.

Its still running and functional but is sluggish which is why i bought the iMac in december. since i returned it i've been relegated back to the machine tried to replace...

4. ov3n

ov3n Active Member

What is it you do where you want to go from a mini to a MacPro?

Sounds backwards, but maybe get a quad-core PowerMac G5 if you want more oomf? It'll run Leopard but not Snow Leopard (not really a big deal). Only issue is you'd have to stick with software that's for the PPC or UB when most are moving to Intel only.

5. quid

I'm not moving away from intel. And I beachball my mini FAR more often than I want to tolerate.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  6. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Sounds like you need a newer C2D mini to hold you up till the new Mac Pros come out.

7. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

I don't think there is any talking you in or out of anything.

For me, I don't want to deal with windows as my main machine [ever] at this point so the choice is pretty easy for me. But i'm going to say beachballing is much better than the shit you'll have to deal with on Windows.

8. ov3n

ov3n Active Member

I think a MP would be overkill honestly. I know you hated the iMac for whatever reason but it's really not much slower than the MacPro's. They're only limited by gfx card options and RAM.

9. ft2057

ft2057 New Member

I think it was because of the hassle of the iMac's 27" faulty display that apple neglected to fix for so long. I'd be pretty frustrated about it too, but now that its supposedly fixed, I myself wouldn't be hesitant to purchase a 27" iMac w/i7 if I can get rid of my macbook pro.

10. inkblot78

inkblot78 New Member

Is a Macbook Pro out of the question? It would me more powerful than the Mac Mini, functional as a desktop with your the secondary monitor, keyboard and mouse. It's also a mobile machine (an advantage over your current setup) if you need to work on the go.

11. quid

i was told it was "fixed" (by the internet and apple) plenty of times while i had mine. the last straw was when the apple store told me they'd done all they can do, talk to apple care and apple care said they can't do anything without the apple store seeing it so would i like her to make an appointment for me. after i said no, she said (without ever seeing my display) that my display was within spec and there was nothing more she could do.

bottom line is, the imac was exactly what i wanted, and there is no way i will buy another of this generation. that leaves the mini, which i don't want to do but might, a pro, which is more than i want to spend and windows.

12. quid

thats an interesting point.. i couldn't run two aux monitors off it though could it?

13. ov3n

ov3n Active Member

Apple did finally admit there was a bad production run of the iMacs and was even buying back the computers + a % over. The problem was sorted out eventually so you are safe buying one again.

14. quid

When did that happen. I will guarantee that was within the time before I told apple they were taking mine back.

Again, I am not buying another iMac. I don't care how many blogs you read, I am making this decision from my first hand experience.

15. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

I just think it is funny how people completely write something off from one experience. Did you lose anything when you bought it besides time? If not, suck it up an try again. If it fails again, you can whole heartedly say, "fuck that".

16. ft2057

ft2057 New Member

Simple answer, no. But if you want to do so with a lot of work and some $200-$400 extra hardware and cables you can.

17. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

step back from that ledge my friend

18. inkblot78

inkblot78 New Member

Not sure, but you could use the screen of the MBP as the second? I actually use my MacBook Pro this way. It runs closed and uses my Dell 2405 as the monitor / USB hub / card reader. I have all my photos on a FW800 drive and my iTunes library, movies, and Time Machine on a Drobo (with a Time Capsule as a secondary weekly backup). My work documents are all in sync across 5 other Macs using SugarSync.

FWIW, I think this is the best option if you're between a Mac Mini and a Mac Pro (since the iMac isn't an option). The portability and power at a price point between the two is going to be hard to beat with any other Mac setup....bringing us back to your original post of whether or not to move back to Windows...

19. ft2057

ft2057 New Member

Well, if running the MBP as a secondary monitor is an option. If you're interested, I have my Apple Cinema Display 24" up for sale for $500. For $1500, I'll hand over my 13" MBP as well.

Specs:
    2.26 GHz C2D
    160GB of HD
    4GB of 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM
    Snow Leopard install Disc

MBP was bought in January and Cinema Display was bought about 7 months ago.

20. Slurms McKenzie

Slurms McKenzie New Member

:rofl:

21. quid

2 machines and 4 screens is hardly chalking it up to one experience.

22. quid

:h5:

23. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

Buy a used Mac Pro (1st or 2nd gen) then resell it when the new ones come out if it's not fast enough for you. You'll probably be able to get most of your money back.