Talk me into a buying a 12" Powerbook...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mamoru, Feb 4, 2005.

1. mamoru

mamoru New Member

As you might have remembered, I found my 900mhz ibook g3 on craigslist for under 200 bucks...It's time for an upgrade.

I like the size of the 12", it's VERY portable, and great for my needs in terms of size and performance, but the non-backlit keys turned me off. Stupid, I know, but the thought of the keys being backlit sounded cool...when I think about it, how often will I be using the computer in pitch darkness...

I'm just scared to drop close to 2 g's on a laptop (12", 1.5 ghz, 100 gig Hd, etc...) when a G5 might come out in the summer rendering a new laptop obsolete...I do like the DVD burning though...

I don't want another ibook. It was nice for 200 bucks, but these keys wobble, and it has some quirks, design wise, that tell me I'm not a fan as much of the ibook than I am of the Powerbook.

However...does the 12" have dual display support? I have a nice LCD monitor that is mac compat. and I'd LOVE to be able to hook it up and throw my ichat convos on there while working on photoshop...

So yeah...am I missing out big if I buy a 12" and not a 15" or a 17"?

I like the wifi and bluetooth built in...I like the fact that this ibook is over 3 years old and it still runs better than most every PC I've used in recent times, so the powerbook must be even better with the proper ram (this one has 640)...yeah...

Hmm...can the powerbook play FPS games?

I have so many questions!! Ahh!! :) Thanks for the help :)

2. mamoru

mamoru New Member

Nevermind, I'm getting the 12" and I'm not looking back...wouldn't want a first gen g5 lappy anyhow :coold:

HOWEVER, if someone can answer my questions about dual display, and whatnot, that'd be awesome :coold:

Thanks...:)

3. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

This should do the trick. :)

"NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 graphics processor with AGP 4X support and 64MB of DDR SDRAM video memory (12-inch models)

• Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports up to 1024 x 768 pixels on the built-in display and up to 2048 x 1536 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors"
    Edit: However, you can order the 15" model with the card that is standard in the 17" model and have the most compact model that will support a 30" Cinema Display. :bigthumb:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2005
  4. maczter

...and as far as playing FPS, it should do the trick. a G5 PowerMac with the bad boy video card would obviously put it to shame, but it should be sufficient.

5. mamoru

mamoru New Member

I know, I read that every time I drooled over the specs, but for some reason, I was reading website that said otherwise, so I was conflicted...but pretty cool :)

I don't play FPS's that often, but this is a desktop replacement for the next few years. I am satisfied with my ibook, but I'd be ultra satisfied with a brand new powerbook...the construction is more solid in my opinion. Wish the keys weren't plastic, but you can't have everything :hs:

I'm ordering it later today :)

6. maczter

see my edit on my first reply.

7. dmora

dmora Guest

:hay:

I loved my 12" G4, except for one reason. I do a lot of graphic work and the 12" screen just couldnt cut it. I ended up using an external display and used my 12" screen for Photoshop pallets, AIM, and email windows.

Getting the first g5 line isnt so terrible, Its just going to be a ways off.

8. fifty50

fifty50 New Member

12" PB supports 2048x1536 resolution external display? hrmmm, dont think i had that option when i connected my monitor to my 12" 1.33GHz PB....

unless i'm wrong?

9. HuMpS 97 DoHc

HuMpS 97 DoHc NeonCanada 4 Life

your monitor may not support that resolution.

10. maczter

i don't think that was the case with the old models.

11. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

:hsugh: I don't know that I'd be comfortable buying any 1st gen new product from apple given some of their past products :o

anyone else remember the PowerBook 5300 exploding batteries? :hsd:

12. speedhunter12

speedhunter12 semi-pro lurker

i thought i read somewehre that the keys on the 12" dont have a backlight, i could be wrong

13. mamoru

mamoru New Member

they don't...but it'd be damned cool if they did :hs:

14. speedhunter12

speedhunter12 semi-pro lurker

oh i thought you were saying one reason you wanted a powerbook is becasue of the backlit keys

15. Taylor

Taylor Guest

:hay: mamoru - check your PMs