MIL Taking your car with you

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RibeyeAndScotch, Sep 12, 2005.

1. RibeyeAndScotch

RibeyeAndScotch OT Supporter

I'm in a situation where i dont really want to sell my car but I'm left no choice but to sell it seeing as how im going to the army. But a good buddy of mine has suggest me that I take the my car with me.

I'm going in as 11b and moving up to rangers.

I would like to be stationed in Korea or Japan, would it be wise to sell the car or bring it with me? I've got tons more questions but i'll let the main one be answered first.

2. Capitals

Capitals Guest

sell that shit. not only will you not be able to drive it in japan (they drive on the left side) but i don't know how it is for the army but e-3s and below aren't even allowed to own cars in Japan in the Marine Corps.

either way you deffintley won't be bringing it with you

3. Accord

Accord New Member

What about CONUS?

4. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

WTF E3's not allowed to own cars? :eek4:

Is that just for Marines? When I was stationed in England (left side driving) anyone could own a POV. I bought my first car in England. :dunno:

5. RibeyeAndScotch

Can anybody confirm that the army wont allow you to bring your vehicle??

I'm probably gonna sell it anyway. Way too much of my time and money has gone in to it though, but i fuckin love my the dsm.

6. Capitals

Capitals Guest

We're not allowed to have cars until we're E-4 or above in Japan. :sadwavey:

Always makes me cry when I see an E-1 in the Army/AF driving. We're always getting fucked over here.

7. GochuBoy

GochuBoy OT Supporter

Keep it until you get you get out of your OCONUS duty station. Make sure someone keeps it well maintained (and not your buddy).

Its only going to be for a year. And since you like your Eclipse so much just keep the mofo.

8. Accord

Accord New Member

I heard that every Marine who owns a motorcycle is required to wear some bright orange vest while riding. Is this true?

9. Accord

Accord New Member

Yeah I know :hsugh:

Mabye it was just meaningless scuttlebutt in my recruiters office or something...

10. Capitals

Capitals Guest

Truth

Have to wear a road guard vest while on a Motorcycle.

11. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

ditto

dot

12. DaRkPhAnToM

DaRkPhAnToM FML OT Supporter

even off base. if you are involved in a wreck and dont have reflective stuff on military can deny you medical coverage. i dont wear one becuase i have built in reflective lines in my riding jacket and the MPs said thats fine.

13. DaRkPhAnToM

if your going to Korea or Japan you wont be going to Ranger School until you get back.

14. DaRkPhAnToM

and also if by saying moving up to Rangers you mean going to a Ranger Bat. later on in your army career that will almost for sure not happen. the Ranger Bats like to homegrow their men from the get go. getting into a Ranger Bat. without having Option 40 on your initial contract is damn near impossible.

15. evan2

evan2 Guest

ok if you are air force and go to say KOREA you cant drive now there unless you are a e7, used to be e6 but they just changed it.. granted its just a one year tour

if you are CONUS in the AF I say bring it, to be honest if you go overseas dont.. bringing my s2k over here has been a fucking pain in the ass. Granted I couldnt live in england for 3 years without a nice car the insurance rapes you.. granted i have a bad past so I cant get usaa or geico but even with more then 2 tickets in the us they wont give you international insurance becuase of uk standards

being on the other side of the car isnt a big deal but gets you more on insurance beucase you are on the other side of the road, so in blind curves its a tad harder

but i feel more at home in a lhd car , rhd is a pain, I cant shift haha

granted I dont know about every base in the AF but some year long remotes you might not be able, though for a year its not a long time
    if you are going to japan id just get a cheap car there to beat on, in the uk I wouldnt mind having a beater and the wife drives it.. i drive 18 miles to work daily so a beater isnt what I want

if you go somewhere and cant take the car, as long as you go somewhere in the AF over 30 days they will store it for free.. you just have to call TMO

16. GochuBoy

GochuBoy OT Supporter

You just suck a driving.

17. GochuBoy

GochuBoy OT Supporter

Better double check the regs on that one. When I was coming back from Afghan, they played this stupid video about safety and all that. They said the reflective tape had to be 1 inch in thickness and some other crap. So double check the regs...of course I'm assuming that your Bike jacket has thin lines.

18. Nixstress

Nixstress Look at me! I am edgy and stabby! OT Supporter

Here's my army input... We were in Germany for 3 years and the Army paid for one vehicle to be shipped over, it was definitely worth it.

Why do you feel you are left with no choice?

19. mike b.

mike b. New Member

If you go to Korea there is no option to bring the car. If you go to Germany or Italy you can purchase a vehicle and ship it back to the states when you ets or pcs. It's that simple.

20. DaRkPhAnToM

o word, ill look into that thanks. yeah they are pretty thin.

21. RibeyeAndScotch

I want to get in to rangers right off the bat, and go to Korea later down the road, and bring my car with me. The priority goes in that order as well.

I havent been to my home country in 16 years, i really really would like to get a chance to go, but if it jeopardizes my chances of getting in to rangers, then i can wait on going to Korea.

22. RRTX

RRTX New Member

You can not take a vehicle to Korea, it is a one year hardship tour so they don't allow transport of POV's or dependents. Other than that you can have one most places overseas, they shipped my truck over to Germany for me when I was just an E-2.

23. RibeyeAndScotch

but arent your 11b, did you have a ranger contract on your enlistment contract?

Is there any other way besides going 11x, and geting a ranger tab, and waiting?? With a GED.

24. Accord

Accord New Member

Dark, what kind of bike do you have?

25. DaRkPhAnToM

yup it was a 2000 but after wrecking it last year and putting on all brand new 2002 parts it basically a 2002 now, haha i call it a 2002 :naughty: