GUN Taking wife to the range, tips, suggestions?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by notaniceperson, Dec 3, 2008.

1. notaniceperson

notaniceperson -I'm an ASSHOLE!

I will be taking my wife to the gun range today to get her comfortable with shooting. I would like her to get a CCW and buy her a nice recessed hammer revolver soon.

I plan to get her started with the 10/22 to get her comfy with shooting first.

Then on to the P22 pistol for handgun comfort.

I think I should leave it at those two guns today and work ont he 9MM and up at a later date. She trid the 9MM one time and it almost jumped out of her hand so she is a bit shy about it.

Any tips, suggestions for me?

Thanks gun crew.

2. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Start her off on .50 BMG, or .375 H&H if you're a cheap-ass. That way everything else will seem to have no recoil.

3. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

OK I'm joking. Your plan to start on .22 is a good one. Just make sure she has double hearing protection so she doesn't develop a flinch from the sound.

4. I did that with Laurel.

5. sprite

sprite Active Member

Husbands teachings wives usually goes something like this:

6. no7fish

no7fish New Member

This is an excellent website that someone else on this board suggested to help me teach my GF to shoot.

http://www.corneredcat.com/TOC.aspx

All of the basics are good, the other stuff is good reference as well, but I would suggest work through the grip and stance parts with her at the least.

7. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

:rofl: are you serious??

Vid? :x:

8. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

I think starting her off with .22's to get her used to shooting in general is a good idea... I let my GF try my 9mm glock after shooting only a few magazines of 22's... She screeched when the first shot went off and the gun nearly flew out of her hand (jammed in the process since she wasn't holding it tight enough)... On her 2nd shot, the recoil made her arms jerk and somehow the casing came back and hit her in the face... After that, she put the gun down and won't touch it any more... I am a big guy, and the 9mm recoil is virtually nothing to me... I didn't realize it would be such a step up for her...

She did continue to shoot the 22 pistol though... and went from not even being able to hit the target at 10 yrds, to being able to hit it about 90% of the time...

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  9. Sorry, no video, but here's a pic of it. Also, I know her finger is on the trigger, it was her first time shooting, and she now knows not to do that.

[​IMG]

10. Sprite has it pretty much dead on with how it usually goes. I recommend getting someone other than yourself to teach the wife to shoot. If you don't have anyone available, just try to be extra nice.

11. notaniceperson

Excellent website. Thank you very much.

Thansk to all replies, gun crew RULES OT!

12. notaniceperson

I have on my super nice husband hat today.

13. Milky

Milky I'm in your Millenium Falcon, rumbling your Wookie

:rofl:

14. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

But...you are an asshole... :hsugh:

15. notaniceperson

When I have my OT hat on yes....

16. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

Seconded. Do everything in your power to have someone ELSE teach your woman. Just step aside, put away the macho, and let another man coach your team for a minute. It'll turn out WAY better. And extra nice won't cut it if you do it yourself. You'll need a scoop of Super-Extra Nice with a slab of Patient as a Motherfucker on top. And your wife will be coming at you with Instant PMSing Bitch the whole time, testing your skills. She'll go from happy to crying in an instant over a shot that hit the floor instead of the target. Save your relationship and have someone else teach her.

17. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

Oh, and lose the antiquated attitude that you know what pistol is best for your wife. Revolvers? Seriously? Do you make her wear hoop skirts and stay home, clean, cook, and raise babies? Have I seen you on Maury as one of those guys that won't let his wife have a cell phone because she might call people you don't like?

18. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

Grip and stance are most important. My SO put like 10 .22lr rounds downrange before she wanted something that goes boom so I had her on 9mm and my 5.45 AK before long at all. :coold: But for some reason girls just hate taking advice from their SO's, and no matter how knowledgable you are about something and no matter how nice your delivery is, she'll still want to learn from someone else that "knows about guns". Same goes for fitness. Forget that I've been working out for 6 years and have a huge understanding of physiology and dietetics, she has a friend that's a personal trainer and anything she says overrides my years of experience. :rofl:

19. john in jax

john in jax New Member

With every new shooter I like to start small and work them up. You choice to start her out on the .22's is a great idea, you might also begin with the targets up close so she can easily see the positive results of her efforts.

With a new shooter using a handgun I like to start out each new gun out at just 5 yards, once the newbie has mastered 5 yards, try 10 yards, etc.... The trick is to show them they CAN shoot nice tight groups and get them concentrating on technique/form. But I have to stress that with each new gun/platform or caliber, you need to start 'em out CLOSE.

With the 10/22 you might try starting out at 10 and moving the target back as she gets the hang of it.

20. halflife78

halflife78 OT Supporter

Started my wife on a 380 and then a 9mm. She didn't like either and never got comfortable so we ended up getting the FN FiveseveN for her and she loves that damn thing.

Rifle wise though she loves AR-15's, I finally found one in stock in Georgia today I am buying tonight.

21. notaniceperson

Wifey kicked ASS at the range.

She listened very well to every point I gave her.

If I said "stop" the gun was instantly set down.

She followed the 4 rules perfectly.

She made MANY bullseyes, at 5 yards, also at 10 yards, both with pistol and rifle.

She wanted to try the 9MM so i had her use the Ruger P95 first and she loved it! She made one bull with out of 3 shots at 5 yards.

Gave her the Taurus and she made one bull out of 5 shots at 5 yards.

I am really proud of her, welcome my wife to the gun crew!

I actually got a semi watching her plink away!

22. notaniceperson

WTF? The reason I want to get her a recessed hammer ravolver is that it will be easy to load, a bit more compact than a semiauto and with the recessed hammer it will be easier to pull out of her purse, pocket etc.

O and my wife is a business owner, a university level professor and holds multiple college and graduate school degrees.:bowdown:

Have a nice day! :)

23. Purse-carry is a pretty bad idea.

24. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

From a safety standpoint or from a timeliness of drawing standpoint? I've seen holsters sewn into the sides of purses and that seemed pretty safe...

edit: actually that would kind of suck because she couldn't set her purse down anywhere and leave it for even a second. Or have someone hold onto it for her.

25. From a drawing standpoint, try filling a bag with stuff, then drawing a pistol from it. Also, when people steal purses, many times it's not a confrontation, they simply grab the thing and run. There's really nothing you can do to stop it, unless you've got an iron grip on the thing, and can wrestle the guy away. It would be a shame to have your purse stolen with your pistol in it.