taking the paint away?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by LudeGuy, Sep 1, 2003.

1. LudeGuy

LudeGuy Active Member

would the paint be taken away if polishing too hard? I am asking because i think i've seen paint getting on the pad but i'm not too sure.

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

What year and color is your car? If it is a single stage (non clearcoated) paint job, then seeing some of the paint's color on the pad is normal. Usually, the paint is pretty thick on single stage paint jobs. Until the owner sold it, I regularly detailed a 1982 Porsche 911 with a single stage red paint job and even in 2000 (the last time I detailed it), I was getting red on my pads, but once polished out, the paint looked new.

If you use a very aggressive compound each time, then you are going to limit the life of the paint job. Also, make sure you regularly use a light polish and good wax because if you always wait until the paint starts to fade to wax it, then you have to take off more dead paint to get to the good paint underneath and use stronger polishes and compounds. If you regularly maintain the paint though, you never have to use any real abrasive products to keep the paint looking good.

3. LudeGuy

LudeGuy Active Member

it's 93 and it's red also. Actually I've wrote a thread some while ago but i've been too busy to was it til now. I really don't want to screw up since this is my very first complete detailing done to my car. It's a prelude btw. This is the thread i posted if you want to see it.

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?threadid=742938

The hood, front bumper, and doors are just painted but I don't know if they clearcoated it or not. So now, the difference in new and old color really shows on the sides of the car (door and rear fender).

This is exactly what i want to do. Hopefully the color difference won't be so obvious. Do you think it will work on a old car like mine? What other tips and tricks can you give me? Thanks.

4. Scottwax

1993 red Preludes were single stage paint jobs. If any parts of the car have been repainted, then the paint likely used a base coat/clearcoat paint job so his work won't fade.

Usually you can polish out the original paint to closely match the repainted areas. You should find all the products and techniques you need in the stickies in this forum.

5. LudeGuy

LudeGuy Active Member

should i be worried about squaring out the curved areas when I use the buffer?

6. Scottwax

If you use an orbital buffer, it should be pretty safe around the curves, but if you use a rotary, then do the curves by hand.

7. LudeGuy

LudeGuy Active Member

thanks for the tips.

could you further give some examples of both soft and hard polishing compounds? i see that most of them don't show on the package

8. Scottwax

Check the product list. You can also go to www.meguiars.com and find the list that shows the cutting power of their products.

9. LudeGuy

LudeGuy Active Member

oh okay. will do :)