Taking the Civil Service comp oper exam...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Stilgar1973, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Whooo! Hooo!!!

This is sooooo fucking retarded.
    I had some friends take it a couple years back, they came back to work and they where like, 'We have never seen even damned thing on that test. Nothing pertains to what we do.'.

So I signed up for it. I have it tomorrow.
    When I signed up for it I figured I better figure out a way to study for it. I googled and... well... THE GOOGLES DO NOTHING!
    Seriously. I found NOTHING on computer operator civil service test. Nothing.

Well I found one thing. I found this Passbook series of books and they had one book on the subject. I figured anything was better then nothing.

Well I got the damned book, and it has a date of 2002 on the cover, that isn't so bad.

Like 20% of the questions are on punch card readers and reel to reel tape drives.
    A TON of questions on those old style IBM drives, where you lift the drive in and out of the unit.
    There was a reading comprehension question where the article they had me read was predicting what sort of storage media would be around in 1980.

Truly fucked up. I can't figure out if I am waisting my time studying from this thing or not.
    I mean, If I am not waisting my time then it can only mean one of two things:
    A) the test hasn't been updated in 20 some years
    B) PA is running on equipment in data centers that needed updating minimally a decade ago.

Anyone ever take any of these tests?

2. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

I've taken the 'TOC' test to access AZ DPS/FBI NCIC stuff. Not sure if that is simialr ...

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Dude, there are parts of the government that still use that shit. You do actually need to know how they work.

4. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

What, punch cards and disk packs?

When was the last time YOU saw a stack of punch cards or a disk pack?

In all seriousness. I took the exam today. That guide was absolutely completely worthless.
    Well almost.
    It did get me doing some critical thinking, I haven't taken an 'exam' of any sort in a bit over a year. So I suppose brushing up on critical thinking by working through a book of ancient knowledge was useful.

But no, there was not a single question on punch cards on the test I took today.

I am gonna go to Amazon and give that book a scathing review.