Taking protein powder

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by ww_Crimson, Jan 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson New Member

I went ahead and ordered some protein powder the other day and am now looking for some advice on how to supplement it into my diet/routine.

I don't workout a lot, probably 3-4 times a week for about an hour. I'm still relatively new to the gym. I'm not looking for huge gains, I'm trying to cut a bit of fat (6'1", 212, trying to shed about 10-15 pounds of fat / convert it into muscle).

My goal with the powder is to use it as a protein supplement to my regular diet. Right now I think I'm probably getting around 100-120g / protein a day with no supplements. From what I understand I should be getting a little bit more than that.

Mixing two scoops of powder with a huge glass of milk is probably more calories than I want to consume, I think. Basically I'm just wondering if taking it as a light protein supplement is even worth it. I picked up the Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey for $29.99. Did I make a wise decision or do I really not work out enough to bother taking this?

2. Plan B

Plan B New Member

just add water

3. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

Your protein intake is fine. The protein brand you got is fine.

Lift hard, do cardio a few days a week, drink a lot of water, get a good amount of protein, enough sleep, and you're good.

Losing weight should not be overcomplicated. A solid weight training routine (like in the Bodybuilding sticky -- DON'T WORRY, you won't become a bodybuilder pretty much ever) and sensible eating will be fine for you.

Don't argue about not wanting to lift because you'll get flamed for it. Weight training is better for long term weight control than cardio is. And you burn more calories lifting than you think.

Read the stickies (all of them including the Nutrition one) and you're good

4. Pringles

Pringles New Member

Yes it's worth it. Whey is fine. Take it right after you lift and your body will absorb it more efficiently than any other time. I assume a scoop is roughly ~25g of protein and take with water. That should get your protein count up to ~150 for the day. Yes it's wise.

5. qwop

qwop underground pirate OT Supporter

I can't stomach ON with only water, but I mix a scoop with 200ml of semi-skimmed milk and it works out as being around 210-220 calories - I'm sure that'll fit into your calorie count for the day.

6. ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson New Member

Thanks for all the advice. Right now I've bene doing the stair climbing machine for cardio for about 15-20 minutes 2-3 days a week. I'm usually out of breath by 10-12 minutes but push it as far as I can.

For lifting right now I've mostly just been doing some bench press (fuck im weak.. only 85 pounds, kind of hurt my shoulder a few months back) and some dumb bell exercises on a flat bench.

I generally try and do ~50 crunches / some sort of ab routine each time I go as well. I've read the stickies a few times but don't know all of the machines / exercises so far.

Thanks!

7. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.