A&P taking pics of guys on bikes? few random *pics*

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by biawokauns, Mar 4, 2005.

1. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

any suggestions for taking pics of guys on bikes stunting? i'd LOVE to get tehri wheels blurred from motion. what shutter speed am i looking at?

these pics are shitty, but just an idea what i will be shooting. these were shot at f2.8, ISO 1600, the shutter speed was variable. it was getting dark

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BlackWRX02

BlackWRX02 OTs Cingular Guru

like that last one. What camera?
    where do you carry the camera? Love to get some shots of mine other than in my garage :o

3. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

300d

backpack :p

4. BlackWRX02

Cool, i was trying to figure out how you put it under your seat :o

Just picked up a new bag for my new 20d. I'll have to take it with me to get some shots :bigthumb:

5. mojito

mojito New Member

redmond police :noes:

where was that at?

6. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

Redmond, WA :eek3:

7. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

heh have you seen the seat under a ducati :eek3: NO room

i just carry the cam in the outside pouch of my backpack (if i keep it in the main pouch it pokes my back)

8. mojito

mojito New Member

i gathered that, i grew up on mercer island. what street was that?

9. BlackWRX02

yeah, undertail exhausts have a way of leaving you NO room. I thought my 4 r6 was bad until my buddy picked up a 636 and i looked under the back seat :eek4:

10. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

In Redmond Town Center ;)

11. sony

sony Active Member

I posted this in the thread last night, but I think you left it before you saw it. :squint:

Depends how fast they go. Heres some tips I can give you that might help.

1) Don't pan with your arms, pan with your hips. Believe it or not, it's ALL in the hips. At D1GP in December, I was thirsty and went to go get a drink, came back and all the photo spots were gone. I had to take pictures from a hole in the fence, so I was leaning on the impact wall and panning with my arms, it came out like ass.

2) Track. Track. Track. Have your eye on the viewfinder before the car gets to where you want to take the picture. With the Digital Rebel, you don't have AI Servo, so focus on the area where you're going to snap the shot before hand. This is known as prefocusing. When the bike or whatever gets to the spot or around it, tap the shutter button a couple times and press when you want to take the picture. Remember to have your feet apart so you're standing steady and pan with your hips. It's important to get a smooth pan motion.

3) When you press the shutter button, SQUEEZE. Don't PRESS it. You'll jerk the camera when you press, you're supposed to squeeze your hand so that the pan is smooth and it doesn't jolt when you take the camera.

4) pratice.. practice.. practice. Panning isn't easy. A lot of people don't get it the first couple of times. My pans 12 months ago weren't as good as they are today and they're still not as good as some people out there. Don't worry too much about not getting keepers every shot. Sometimes I'll get lucky and have like 2 keepers every 7 shots. Sometimes I'll get nearly all keepers if I'm shooting high shutter speeds.

It depends on how fast the cars/whatever is moving. If it's moving slow, you need a longer shutter speed. IF it's moving fast, you can get away with faster ones.

For example the JGTC cars that I shot with the 85mm were moving ridiculously fast. I had a shutter speed of like 1/200s I think (you can check the exif on my images, i leave them in tact for the most part)

For you, I'd probably start out at 1/125s, if they're moving quick you can maybe go for 1/150 1/200s. Just remember that the longer you drag the shutter the more dramatic and nice looking the image will be.

Last weekend I was shooting drifting and I was using everything from 1/20s-1/125s. Heres a comparison between a 1/80s pan and a 1/30s pan. Look at the wheels. The amount of keepers I got at 1/30s was significantly less than at 1/80, mind you. :o

[​IMG]
    1/80s

[​IMG]
    1/30s

:o

12. fade

fade tie your shoe bitch

one of my friends from whidbey island :mamoru: