GUN Taking my wife to the range

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Y2kAccord, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

We are both taking Friday off and daughter is going to daycare so I mentioned I wanted to take her to the range. She never shot a pistol and hates me having mine, and this is my attempt to get her interested.

Any tips or suggestions, we will be shooting a XD-40 and she already said she donest want to shoot my Raging Bull (the diesel)

2. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

first things first..

The 4 rules.. this is VERY important.. obviously.. and because it shows your a responsible gun owner..

Second.. eye and ear protection.. get her in the habit..

Third. .get some reactive targets, something that will be fun to shoot for her first time.. clay targets work well, pop ( or soda, depending on where you live ), shoot-n-c targets, etc. Dont try to make her an expert her first time out, just let her have some fun.

3. JonDaAzn

JonDaAzn New Member

there are a lot of women's shooting classes and ladies nights at ranges, try and find out when those are and take her to one... you could also buy some sort of .22 cal pistol, and if she doesn't like shooting, thats another gun for the collection!

4. Y2kAccord

This is an indoor range with paper targets they have silouttes and bad guys to shoot at. I think she will have fun probably set the target close so she can shoot at it.

5. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

I would suggest renting a .22 pistol to start with. A .40 is jarring to shoot, especially indoors.

6. RRTX

RRTX New Member

Have her double up on hearing protection, in my experience that seems to help new shooters be a little less jumpy when it goes off. What range are you taking her to? If they have rentals you might consider renting a .22 for her to start on just to get the basics down, my fiancee wasn't too fond of .40 when I tried to start her off on it but she did fine after I moved her down to a .22 for a while.

7. Y2kAccord

I have the .40 and a .45lc
    I would have to rent something which I may offer her to pick something out she wants to try out.
    If she donest she will have to start with my .40
    The .45lc revolver donest really have much recoil, but she said its "too big"

8. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

40s recoil is more snappier, 45 is more of a "push".. id go for the 45.. but yeah, go with something smaller at first

9. farphle

farphle Just lurking through...

I started my wife out on my Sig Pro in .40 and she loved it. She didn't have any previous handgun experience and was surprised at first, but got used to it really quick. Now she begs me to take her to the range!

10. Fook Yoo

Fook Yoo OT Supporter

its not really a bad caliber to start off with.allot of people complain about the 40. snappy recoil but personally i think the recoil is marginal out of the glocks i think recoil of a 40 is about 25% more than a 9.i also find that hk's have more recoil than glocks or any other pistol due to its harse blowback now the double spring hk its a different story.

11. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

12. Y2kAccord

I will offer to let her look at a .22 pistol or maybe a .38

13. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Seriously, don't start her on .40. Rent a .22 and let her have fun her first time out. Teach her the 4 basic safety rules, give her a general overview of how the pistol works and let her go. As long as she is safe don't make too many corrections unless she asks.

14. Y2kAccord

my alterior motive is that if she can understand why I like guns, then I can get her one and maybe get me another 1-2 (and my safe in other post would have to be updated) I want her to enjoy herself, maybe I can let her try a Ruger Mark II (I have wanted to try one anyway :big grin: )

15. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

I started my wife shooting a few years ago. She had never shot a gun before and philosophically didn't really care for them although I wouldn't call her an anti.
    We would go out and she would shoot one of my MK I's, MK II's or 22/45's and I would shoot my carry gun or something else and just let her do her own thing. She enjoyed shooting and progressing at her own pace.

She's now a graduate of several two and three day Tac Pistol classes from different schools and carries a Glock 26 daily. She sometimes shoots 3 gun matches with me and is a naturally gifted precision rifle shooter. I'm amazed at how far she's come in both skill and MINDSET in a few short years. Of everything I’ve exposed her to and trained her in she enjoys shooting bolt guns the most. My only problem with that is I have to build her her own rifle this year. $$$

It does take time. You have to be patient.

One more comment from an instructor's perspective. Spouses normally make the worst teachers for their partners. Consider asking your wife if she would in interested in taking an NRA First Steps or Basic Pistol class with you. Those are both good classes for a beginner.

16. Ukraine Train

Ukraine Train New Member

As mentioned, beg/borrow/rent a .22!! Teach the 4 rules and go through the whole procedure before you get to the range as she might be nervous about not knowing what to do. Doubling ear protection is a good idea, I've been shooting a while and I still do it.

17. Y2kAccord

She said she would go tomorrow, I told her about getting her a .22 she looked at me and said you dont think I can handle your .40 and smirked, I told her we would do a .22 to start out and then you can shoot the .40 I will let you know how it goes tomorrow.

18. Tornado6

Tornado6 When the wind set down in funnel form and pulled y

As a woman, I just wanted to mention weight. I have more trouble holding a heavy pistol for a long time than I do managing recoil, especially when I haven't shot for a while. Noise is also a consideration, so don't go for that snubby .38 ;)

Someone else mentioned that spouses are bad teachers. TRUE! Be patient and have fun, and don't even act concerned if she's not actually hitting anything. Yeah, explain sights, but don't really fuss about shooting groups or anything like that. At this point, being safe, handling the weapon, and actually pulling the trigger are more important than true markswomanship. Just be nice about it is what I'm saying. Remember that getting her to the range is your goal, anything after that is bonus for this trip. :)

19. Y2kAccord

I was thinking of starting her out on the .22 Ruger if she wants to rent it, I wouldnt mind her jumping right into my .40 but I dont want her to hate it and then be shut off to shooting. I just want her to see its fun and enjoyable to understand why I like shooting and not be so uptight about my guns.

20. Y2kAccord

I took her to the range this afternoon, and we rented a Ruger Mark II .22lr which she liked shooting, we bought 100rds and she shot most of them.
    I had her try my .40 out, she shot it once and set it back down :big grin:

21. Brian Fantana

Brian Fantana New Member

.45 LC is a beast.

Id say start her off with a bigger gun. I did and it made me less jumpier when I moved on. Started with a .357 mag and a .44 mag, but maybe a .45acp or 9mm. 9mm has nice recoil.

22. Y2kAccord

I have a .45LC and I dont think its that bad, she didnt like it, she liked to stay with the smaller one

23. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

Give it time, when she's comfortable she'll want to shoot the bigger guns on her own.

I started my wife on a little .22 semi auto ... then a .32. Now she shoots a .40 ... I bought her a Glock 23 (yeah, it's for 'her' ... that's why I alternate it with my 27 for daily carry ;) ) She still won't shoot my 1911, just because it's a '.45'. I'm not pressuring her, she'll shoot it when she's ready.

24. Tornado6

Tornado6 When the wind set down in funnel form and pulled y

That's what I shot Saturday. We were taking my son to the range though. Somebody next to us was shooting a .45 that was really loud and made him cry. He cried so hard his safety glasses fogged up. :hs: Then somebody moved in on the other side and started shooting an M1 Garand .30-06 that he loved??? Kids... After they came with the Garand, he couldn't wait to shoot our rifle. He did a good job too, considering he's a lefty and don't have anything specifically set up for him yet. Oddly, the rifle is a Savage Mark II.

25. Y2kAccord

My wife admitted she had fun...I can use that against her next time I want a gun :)