GUN taking my CCW tomorrow

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by cabriolet, Jan 5, 2007.

1. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

Taking the required class tomorrow, I'm debating if I should bust my ass and drive all over the state borrowing guns from people before Sunday for the qualification shit, so I can carry higher calibers :dunno:

2. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

New Mexico, however with some of the retarded shit we have like, having to qualify on both an auto and revolver, and the largest caliber we ever plan to carry, I may apply for a Florida license. We have reciprocity with them, and they have more reciprocity with more states than New Mexico does, and rumor has it you don't have to show residency :dunno:

3. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

FL and UT cover the widest range of states together. FL is easy to get an out of state permit for. UT is sort of a pain because you have to find a UT certified safety instructor to sign your app, not just any NRA instructor will do.

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thats fucking gay.

Go borroow Gimik's AK pistol :noes:

5. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

yea, what's even more gay is that most places that offer the glass make you take two seperate classes, one for auto, one for revolver. Someone I know is letting me qual for both in one class. Most retarded shit ever, if you get caught with a larger caliber than you qualified with you can permanently lose your permit as well as a misdemeanor charge.

6. I just went for mine yesterday in WA. I had to fill out a form, then hand them $60. That was all.

7. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Geez, in MN you can qualify with whatever you want, and are not restricted to carrying that caliber. If I qualified with my 9mm, I could switch to .40 or .45 and there wouldn't be an issue.

8. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

thats f'in gay

what state?

9. Keesh

Keesh New Member

That seems a little ridiculous.

10. Slick26

Well I think most people agree with having a shooting portion. You should atleast have to prove some kind of skill in handling a gun and how to fire it.

But the measures discussed above are a bit overkill.

11. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

New Mexico

Our shooting portion is gay too, it's something like 5 at 5 yards 5 at 10, and 5 at 15....:noes: I think I may fail :rofl:

12. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

Here in GA all you have to do is fill out 3 pages of forms, give them about $50 and get fingerprinted. Did mine on tuesday, hope it shows up within the 60 day period

It was funny, this gangbanger with gold teeth and all that shit walked in wanting to get one, the lady at the desk could not get him to understand it cost money... I dont think he knew about the background check either, he left after she mentioned it...

13. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

arizona is only a state away :eek3:

i took my class, put my paperwork in the mail on a saturday, my permit and the paperwork are dated the following tuesday, and i got it that friday

plus we just have to qualify with whatever we have (they even let you rent a gun if you don't have one) and we're good to carry whatever

14. Slick26

Imagine that. :rolleyes:

15. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

The Florida one is like correspondence, otherwise I'd rather drive to Arizona. Allegedly you just call, they mail you a packet you mail the fingerprint card, money and certificate and they mail you an ID. :dunno:

Finished the classroom day today, it was pretty cool the dude goes to thunder ranch a couple times a year I guess, and was teaching some draw drills, and other crap, more than the other people that just charge you for an 8 question test and to supervise you shoot down range. :bigthumb:

16. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Yeah, the FL one you can request online, you get the packet in like two days, mail in the app, fingerprint card, proof of training, and fee. It was easier than my own state. :o

And their commissioner's name is Charles Bronson. :bigthumb:

17. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Too late now, I guess, but you should at least rent a .45, just in case you get bit by the 1911 bug later.

18. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

I was gonna borrow a friends .45 USP, but decided against driving all over the city borrowing guns, the instructor said I can re qualify anytime with him for free, just have to call and let him know I want to go. Then it's only a $5 fee for the NM license to get issued a new one, with the higher caliber.

19. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

other than taking the shooting test, how is that any different than the az one - especailly if you already sat through the class

i took the class, got the packet from the class, got fingerprinted in class, got it notarized in class, took a shooting test (which consisted of using any handgun - we could have even used a 22 - shooting 5 rounds at 15 feet, and 5 rounds at 30 feet - 7 out of the 10 rounds have to land within a roughly 1 1/2 foot wide by 2 1/2 foot tall target), and mailed it in...got my ccw in the mail less than a week later :dunno:

good luck

20. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

is arizona non residency? that'd be cool then, pretty much the same. And might be some what more explainable, I was thinking about it earlier IF by some chance a LEO sees you carrying and demands your permit, I can only imagine the questions they will ask about why you are a local resident with an out of state permit, at least with arizona, they might not question it only being one state away? :dunno:

Also, is it true you can only hold one permit at a time, IE I cannot have both a NM as well as an AZ permit? (not carry, but possess at the same time)

Really the main reason I'm thinking about an out of state permit is because NM is not recognized in CO, and I go up there a few times a year. The caliber thing doesn't bother me, talking to my instructor today he said anytime I want to qualify in a higher caliber, just to call him and schedule with another class, free of charge, and it's only a $5 fee to get a new permit issued to me on the spot.

PS I passed every thing today, I was scared about 15 rounds at 3 yards and 5 at 7...the target was so small I thought I was going to miss :rofl: