GUN Taking down an XD/Glock - pulling the trigger?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by P-chan, May 20, 2009.

1. P-chan

P-chan New Member

The procedure for removing the slide from an XD/Glock is pretty similar - rack the slide back, manipulate the takedown lever/switch, unlock the slide, pull the trigger, and the slide is unlocked.

My question is : do you have to pull the trigger in order to remove the slide? Will the weapon fire in this condition if there happens to be a round in the chamber? I know the XD has an "out of battery" safety that is probably engaged in this scenario, but AFAIK the Glock does not have this feature. Anyone know? I haven't Googled or researched it anywhere yet :o

2. sprite

sprite Active Member

Glocks will fire out of battery. When I field strip, step 1 is pulling the trigger (after clearing of course). Can't speak for the XD, but on a Glock there is no reason to manipulate the slide / take-down levers while the striker is under spring tension.

3. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

XD's will fire with a round in a chamber during takedown

4. P-chan

P-chan New Member

I saw yar in here, then he left, so I'm going to assume he agreed with your answer :rofl: :bigthumb:

5. Aero277

Aero277 OT Supporter

Someone on XDTalk had it happen to them when they tried to field strip with a loaded magazine. When he racked back, it loaded, released the slide, pulled trigger, boom. :rolleyes:

6. P-chan

P-chan New Member

Yeah, I assumed it would fire, but wasn't 100%.

7. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Well first there should be nothing in the chamber when you begin to field strip a gun. You have to check but I hope everyone knows this.

You can strip a glock without pulling the trigger if you lock it back into slide lock, press on the striker sleeve to relieve tension. Carefully slide the rear cover plate off while holding your finder over it to capture the plunger rod which is under tension (if you don't it will spring out of the slide across the room). Next pull out the striker assembly, and the plunger rod and spring. Tilt the gun and drop out the extractor. Now out the slide back into battery, pull down the slide release lever and pull the slide off the frame. This is the procedure for if you over adjust the over travel on a aftermarket trigger kit like the one we make and you can't pull the trigger. Also works if you had a case head failure that keeps you from putting the slide into battery so you can do a normal field strip.

8. oakback

oakback New Member

If have an XD (I know the XD-M does not require you to pull the trigger to take down, but this one does).

If I wanted to test this or prove a point to a fellow gun owner, would there be any damage to the gun if I were to load it, lock back, flip the takedown lever up, slide forward, and fire? (assuming I'm at a range/pointing in a safe direction)

9. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

drop mag
    rack slide 2-3x
    visually inspect
    pull trigger
    rock slide back slightly
    pull takedown lever
    profit

10. P-chan

P-chan New Member

Good question. I'm guessing it would be pretty stupid to do, but would the gun blow up and/or slide come shooting off the frame?

11. P-chan

P-chan New Member

On my XD, you have to pull the slide all the way back in order to move the takedown lever.

See how the channel on the slide for the takedown lever is almost at the very front of the slide?

Sorry for the ridiculously sized pic, it was the first one I found that showed what I wanted :o

[​IMG]

12. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

Fixed for ya.

13. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

:o

14. sneakyjesus

sneakyjesus New Member

bleep. bloop

15. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

XD will fire if there is a round in the chamber. My friend shot himself through the hand and knee doing this exact same thing.

rack slide move take down pin, release slide pull trigger slide comes off. In his case there was a bang and 911 call, before he could put the gun back together.

EDIT: He is a tard, no doubt about it, I still don't know how he failed to realize there was a magazine in the gun before he began to take it apart.

16. 1BadZ

1BadZ Uber :Aug2000: GM Nazi

For my XD, this is what I do.

1) Drop mag
    2) Rack slide back and lock
    3) Visually inspect
    4) Flip take down lever
    5) Release slide
    6) Look and feel the loaded chamber indicator
    7) Point the XD to a safe direction and dry fire
    8) Disassemble