A&P Taking Camera to hockey game... what to do with it after?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Wobistdu, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

I'm kind of in a weird situation. I have KILLER seats to the Washington Caps. 4 rows back from the ice, at a 45 off to the side of the goalie. I'd like to take my camera to get some shots, but afterward we're going out for drinks. I won't have a car. We are taking the subway.

I can't think of what the hell to do with it besides carry around my backpack all night. Can anyone think of something I'm missing? I don't think there are lockers anywhere.

2. pawis

pawis werd em up

i have a feeling that if you bring an slr and security sees they will probably ask you to put it away unless you have a photog pass of sorts.

3. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

that would piss me off, especially since i dont have any long lenses

4. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

http://www.verizoncenter.com/news/security.shtml

it appears i might not be able to take my lowepro 350... too big. maybe i'll just take the body with 1 lens attached and maybe a 2nd lens. i'll be so close the 17-50 would probably work for all shots on my side of the ice

5. Waddup you?

Waddup you? OT Supporter

I went to a breakdancing exhibition and got kicked out because I didn't have credentials for my "professional" camera. you are taking chances of being in a shitty situation.

6. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

i'm laughing at breakdancing. that would be AWESOME

7. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

Yeah...security at major sporting event + DSLR or DSLR "like" camera - press pass = kicked out.

8. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

that would piss me off since their policy says "handheld cameras allowed"

my d90 is handheld.

9. ok_computer

ok_computer OT Supporter

You'd get kicked out if you showed up with an SLR in Edmonton and security saw you :dunno:

10. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

you know this for sure?

11. Cesium

Cesium OT Supporter

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.13918/1280; U; en) Presto/2.2.0)

Sounds like a hand held camera to me. You might have problems depending on how paul blart the security guard is feeling that day.

Bring a smaller lens so they don't assume you have a huge zoom. 50 prime?

12. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

hmmm i think this has all been averted by the common sense of heinzanova. he said i should forget it and just concentrate on drinking

i think he's right

13. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

they mean non-slr cameras. I wouldn't even try, trust me. unless you have a short lens. you'll see people at the game with slr's, but security has never let me in with one.

14. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

fail

i figured some idiot wrote the policy, and he considers hand-helds to be rectangular point and shoots

i need to rent an s90 and take it :rofl:

15. MaxSE

MaxSE No Max, No More

I took a Nikon D60 with the Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 lens to a St. Louis Blues game last season. Then again, the Blues were terrible and they were probably just happy that someone was there to watch the game :)

I also parked at the arena and was fully prepared to take the camera back out and leave it in the car if they wouldn't allow it in.

16. derekOT

derekOT New Member

ummm, he shoots there professionaly, I think he would know

You would need at least a 70-200 imho to shoot the action. Also, if you are not right against the glass you might pickup glare and distortion off the glass. Just go have fun.

17. asdfbunk

asdfbunk A Member OT Supporter

don't bother bringing it

same deal here at GM place, no "professional" cameras

and i did ask, anything with a removable lens is a professional camera to them.

18. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

sounds good. i will enjoy my $9 beers

19. Waddup you?

Waddup you? OT Supporter

my friend is a bboy, so I'd thought I take a couple of snaps of him. the venue was a big "new age" church, which made me even more pissed off as I got ushered out the door.

"please come back, we would really like for you to attend, but without your professional camera."

gay :ugh:

20. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

wow. sounds like they are making more of a deal about this event than they should

21. Gvidon

Gvidon New Member

Stop being douche about and leave the camera at home. Do you also show up to your friends wedding with your gear?

22. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

[​IMG]

lol but seriously you're right. i will just go to drink and have fun.

23. Waddup you?

Waddup you? OT Supporter

uh yeah...

the venue was pretty big though, so I admit, had I known, I wouldnt have gone period.

24. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

you won't get any decent pics from that angle without at least a 70-200, so i wouldn't be bothered. just go have fun.

25. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

Since he is one of the team Photogs for the Edmonton Oilers, Yeah, I'd say he knows exactly what he's talking about. ;)

I was told that I could not bring in my camera backpack into the Phoenix Coyotes game without a press pass, even though my son was playing on the ice during intermission. They said I could put my camera around my neck and that would be fine, but no long lenses (pointing at my 70-200L), again without press credentials. So, either take the camera and plan to hold it all night, or just leave it at home.