TAT Take a look at this tattoo artist

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by whitepearl, Jun 3, 2009.

1. whitepearl

whitepearl OT Supporter

should i go to him?

i have a cherry blossom tree on my back which i am not impressed with even tho i went to Little Vinnies here in MD and paid $180..i dont wanna pay out of the ass again just bc of someones big name reputation if you know what i mean...

so..with that said, do you guys think i can go to this person? I just need color touch up-to make it brighter and the cherry blossom flowers fixed and some more added on (wrapped around my rib cage)..My tattoo is in between my shoulder blades right on the spine

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewAlbums2&friendID=96097360&view=true
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  2. ihaveanevilplan

ihaveanevilplan Everybody wake up, wake up, it's time to get down Moderator

i'm not very impressed
    his shading is pretty sucky

$180 = paid up the ass?
    how big is your tree? that's like 1.25 hours worth of work not including tip

3. whitepearl

whitepearl OT Supporter

hmm

i really dont wanna pay over $100 for an hr..and at the same time i dont wanna be cheap...and yet i already paid almost $200 for a place that was supposed to be really reputable :-(

4. whitepearl

whitepearl OT Supporter

the tree is around 2" and took 1 hr max

it wasnt even hand drown.. it was a stencil which ended up looking notihng like the stencil ..i gave him $20 tip

5. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

$120/hr or more is a going rate at most shops.

I wouldn't go to that artist in your original post. :dunno:

6. whitepearl

whitepearl OT Supporter

i might go to Beth at vinnies

7. eelliiss

eelliiss Active Member

Yikes, that artist's skills are looking fucking ROUGH.

You should never set a price limit on tattoos. That's just me though.

8. XTREME COCKSUCKER

XTREME COCKSUCKER New Member

Jesus Christ. That Myspace alone should tell you that getting tattooed by that guy is not a good idea. His friends list is comprised of Kat Von D, Chris Garver, Hannah Aitchison, and the fucking Miami Ink official Myspace. Now, talented as each of those artists may be, that list of "friends" sends a very clear message to me: that this artist is uninterested in the opinions (or presumably business) of anyone actually knowledgeable of tattoos. That list of friends has been compiled to attract people with zero in depth knowledge of tattoos and whose only experience with the art form is watching a show on TLC every week. Most guys put artists they actually know in their Top 8 and the chances that this random hack happens to actually be friends with the most recognizable artists in the world is essentially zero. Not to mention, at the bottom of his "friends" list is Dave Matthews. Maybe he really likes Dave Matthews(which would probably put him in a very small minority in the artist community) or maybe he wants to attract fans of Dave Matthews (who usually really like celtic crosses, clover leafs and other original tattoos that this guy seems to specialize in).
    If the Myspace page itself didn't turn you away, then simply clicking on "pics" and seeing albums titled "tats" should. No respectable artist I've ever spoken with or talked to calls tattoos "tats." In fact, most will correct and/or chew out people who use the word.
    If for some reason you're still interested in this guy, a quick glance at even the thumbnails of his work should immediately send you in the opposite direction of his shop. It took me about ten minutes reading about tattoos to figure out that an idea of the quality of an artist can be gotten just by looking at what he's putting on people, not even how he's doing it. The fact of the matter is that the vast majority of accomplished, respected artists simply aren't in the business of drawing celtic crosses or tribal dragons. This could be for many reasons. Maybe most artists want to challenge themselves to create something actually original. Maybe they don't want their name attached to a tattoo that looks like a million others. Maybe they don't want to waste their time on something that could be gotten out of a flash book at any shit hole $60/hr biker-run tattoo shop. Whatever the reason, it's simply a matter of fact that most really talented artists don't bother with cliche tattoos. And unless the artist's tribal tramp stamps or hands holding a rosary are some of the absolutely most mind-blowing and original work I've ever seen, just the fact that the artist is wasting his time on those tattoos is enough for me to deem them not worth my money.
    So you're okay with the Myspace page. You're okay with the album titles. You're okay with the content of the guy's work. But you must have made this thread before actually clicking on any of those pictures, because I don't understand how anyone could honestly expect a positive response to that guy's tattoos. None of them are excellent tattoos. Some of them are passable; almost-but-not-quite good work. A lot of those tattoos are just completely boring and mundane, total throwaways that look like a billion other pieces of flash. But a surprising amount of those pieces are genuinely bad. Laughably bad. Bad like that guy should be making sure people understand that tattoos are really forever before taking their money, and should probably refuse tips. Here's a few true gems:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The fact that he is putting those portraits on people for the rest of their lives is appalling. He is not a talented portrait artist at all, and as such, if he had any integrity or common sense he wouldn't do portraits unless someone is for some reason demanding that he and no one else do their portrait. An accomplished, respected, and respectful artist who works only in black and gray wouldn't put an image of a sunset on someone if they knew they couldn't do an adequate job at it. A respectable artist understands the significance of the permanence of a tattoo and won't subject someone to a lifetime of bad art on their body.

As for your little price limit thing...really? A price limit on something you're going to have on your body for the rest of your life? You've heard it a million times, but it's true that you get what you pay for, particularly in tattoos. Ignoring the fact that $100 is low even for a just decent artist, the idea that you'd rather save $80 that you won't miss in a week than have art that you're actually excited to look at everyday for the rest of your life is astounding. Pinch pennies at the grocery store. Pinch pennies next time you buy clothes. Shit, pinch pennies when you buy a house. You won't be going to the grave with any of those. You will go to the grave with a tattoo. $80 over a lifetime comes out to fractions of a penny per day.

9. whitepearl

whitepearl OT Supporter

hmmm

thank you for that.

what i meant was - i paid almost 200 at vinnies for an hour of work..for something i am not happy with

all i meant to say was big names are not always the best and are sometimes over prices

not that i am trying to save $80 bc i am not..

10. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

And did you go back and let them know what you weren't happy with? Most good reputable artists will have no problem "fixing" your tattoo for you.

11. SmokeDog420

SmokeDog420 New Member

I doubt theres a lot you can do with a 2" tattoo.

12. whitepearl

whitepearl OT Supporter

what do you mean?

13. whitepearl

whitepearl OT Supporter

no..and it's been like 2 years anyway

14. chizzle

chizzle New Member

$180 for a cherry blossom tree sounds cheap as hell. My friend paid $230 for text written over half her back, I'd imagine that would be a lot less labor-intensive.

15. SmokeDog420

SmokeDog420 New Member

I mean... 2" isn't that big... Unless you meant 2'..

2"=2 inches
    2'=2 feet

For someone to want a lot from a 2 inch piece of work is kinda ridiculous. IMO

16. onomatopoeia

onomatopoeia onyamomma

:roflw:

17. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

Have you seen what she has? :rolleyes:

A GOOD artist could easily make a 2" tattoo look amazing.

18. Pepsi1975

Pepsi1975 Mod of the Year

dude very well written, but I still can't get over this tat, and with his hair growing on his arm, it looks alike he has a hairy ass :rofl:

19. SmokeDog420

SmokeDog420 New Member

Have you saw it? :ugh2: and what's it matter? Im trying to imagine a two inch tree that she not happy with... I'd say all you could do with something that's f'd up is cover it. :ugh2:

An amazing 2" tattoo.. Maybe you can help me out with that one. I don't keep an eye out for small stuff.

20. whitepearl

whitepearl OT Supporter

the flower looks like its growing between the branches as apposed to off the branches

ill post a pic up
    [​IMG]

look right in the middle..doesnt it loook like branch is coming out of the flower/

21. SmokeDog420

SmokeDog420 New Member

Not what I had in mind at all. :big grin: There is a lot of ways you can improve on it! (been thinking about getting a tree on me recently) I'd like to see what you do with it once you find someone.

Find a GOOD artist please and stay away from the likes of the one you posted that link to.

.. and I don't mean to come off as such a douche bag.. LoL

22. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

:rofl: I don't even think I want to reply to you. :rofl: Not worth it.

23. ApathyAsylum

ApathyAsylum OT Supporter

:ugh: what the hell are you saying?

24. eelliiss

eelliiss Active Member

In for the lulz.

25. SmokeDog420

SmokeDog420 New Member

:greddy: You already have. :ugh2: