MMA Takanori Gomi Fan Theory

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Sammo, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Sammo

Sammo New Member

I have a theory that at least 90%+ of the hardcore Takanori Gomi fans are short asian dudes.

I'm not saying this because of Pride being in Japan, but I mean in North America as well.

2. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Lightweight seems kind of boring to me, but I do enjoy watching his fights.

As for your theory I think it's correct. I think people normally pick their favorite fighters judging by association to how they see themselves, or what they want to achieve in themselves (this mainly applies to the younger audience who has an interest in learning MMA or whatever fighting style, not so much for the pure spectators). For example, one of my favorite fighters is Allistair Overeem, even though he's obviously not the best out there. We're about the same height and he fights at my goal weight (205, really low bf%) and is very much a Muay Thai fighter, which is what I practice. I've got to admit I find his fights much more personal than I would a Fedor fight, which is more entertaining and less fulfilling.

3. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

I support your theory but I relate more to Jens Pulver than Gomi since he is a pretty big lightweight. And I just love watching Pulver's left hooks, god they are just gruesome to watch when he lands them.

4. Gomi Bear

Gomi Bear New Member

I'm not that short.

5. FlyingNun

FlyingNun Active Member

yeah im not that small either...but i do think i like Gomi more than other's because i can relate to him the most i guess...i like Gomi and Pulver the best out of lightweights....Boxer/Wrestler is my favorite skillset for fighters usually...but i relate more to gomi and he's just way way better

6. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

pulver is scary. I like Pulver over Gomi, but we all know who's better :hsd:

7. Sammo

Sammo New Member

:mamoru:

8. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

im 5'11":wiggle:

9. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Pulver is BORING. There. I said it.

10. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

??? You just seem really biased against the lightweights. You say they were boring from a previous post, why? If the only reason why they're "boring" is because they fight at a lighter weight, then fine, thats your opinion. But when they offer awesome fights and really push for the win and you still consider them "boring", then thats just completely dumb.

For example, Pulver vs Kenji was a great fkn fight. Man what a fight, Pulver was throwing bombs and landing them while at the same time he was getting hit pretty good also but came back. Finishes with a great KO even, probably one of the best fights on that card.

Heavyweights are great to watch but they tend to slack a lil bit in the later rounds, while the same can be said for the lighter weights, they usually do offer more action packed fights than the heavier weights.