Tahoe and Full-size Blazer question

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by JoeyCrack, Feb 21, 2003.

1. JoeyCrack

JoeyCrack Active Member

Ok folks i am looking into purchasing a full-size Blazer or perhaps a Tahoe so we are talking somewhere in the mid to late 90s depending on what i can get and what i decide to spend. Anyhow I am kind of partial to the 6.5 Liter Diesel engine because i plan to be towing around 5k lbs at times.

I have seen a few 2 doors with the diesels but no 4 doors. Were these only available in 2 door and suburban trim but not 4 door? Also is anyone familiar with whether or not the 350 is a better engine over all or am i probably doing the right thing by going diesel?

2. Otto

Otto Who the hell do you think I am!?!?!?!

the diesel is only avail. in the two door. for heavy towing id recomend the 2500 suburban with the 454, but it gets shit for gas mileage even when your not towing

but the tahoe with the 350 should be able to handle a 5000lb load well enough, but gas mileage will be crap while hauling

id recomend a truck though if your going to be doing it more often

3. JoeyCrack

JoeyCrack Active Member

when you say truck i assume you mean a pickup? The reason i am looking for an SUV is the ability to move people around as well as tow...Have you heard of any claims as to the diesel reliability?

4. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

5,000lbs. isn't that much for a fullsize truck.

For instance, my stepmother's 1996 K1500 with a 305 V8 can tow up to 7,000lbs. stock.

I'd seek out a two door mid 90s KBlazer or Yukon GT with a 350 for towing, it shouldn't have any problem doing what you want to do, and the two doors are more unique.

5. JoeyCrack

JoeyCrack Active Member

is the 350 a reliable motor in the trucks? and what are some common problems I am going to encounter...I had thought and this is purely based on hearsay that the diesel engine would be more reliable then the gas dunno though any input?

6. cdemdec26

cdemdec26 Destroy Erase Improve

A 2 door wont be long enough to tow 5000 lbs comfortably. I towed my freinds race Camaro to the track one day with my 2 door K5 Blazer and it was really squirly, depsite stopping and moving the car on the trailer to try to optimize tongue weight. I would go for a 4 door Tahoe for more stability. The 350s are very reliable. Get a trans temp guage and the biggest cooler you can find. The 350s are very reliable motors. Mine has just over 100K, it's never been apart and it runs as good as new

Oh, and dont tow anything over 3000 lbs without trailer brakes- period.

7. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

350s are bulletproof engines.

I'd still get a 2dr. over a 4dr., they look much better and are a bit more unique.

8. JoeyCrack

JoeyCrack Active Member

thank you for the info folks i am going to be looking around in the near future

9. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Sic Semper Tyrannis

I'm running a 96 Tahoe 4door with 264,000 miles on original engine and tranny with no problems. Tows on the highway with no prob.