MMA Tae Kwon Do is not a shitty martial art

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by DOHChi, Oct 20, 2005.

1. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

true story

ive been reading a lot of mma threads here lately and a lot of you guys that said you took tkd say it is useless. please tell me how so. unless if you practiced at a McDojo and rose to a black belt in a year, then yeah I can see how it is shitty.

i use to take tkd for about 6 years, and use to compete in local events the schools set up. tkd is a very effective in hand to hand combat once you cut out the bullshit. that is why it is still taught in the korean army. http://www.mca-marines.org/Gazette/2005/05durand.html link of tkd in vietnam war and the influence it had on america and vietnam.

anyways, i guess what im trying to say is that tkd is not a bad martial art at all. it has just been watered down since it has become mainstream, and im sure that jiu jitsu in a couple of years will take the same effects, if it already hasn't. if you plan to take tkd, make sure that the instuctor is very knowledgeable, and is willing to take part in your training than just instructing. also, i think IMO it would help if your instructor also competes in WTF, just so you can be competitive.

just my .2 cents. sorry for rant

2. Placebo

Placebo New Member

In a fighting situation, the technique is unreliable, the stance is far suboptimal, and they don't emphasize the clinche at all whatsoever. This is just from my experience.

Students of TKD also tend to leave them self open to face hits and leg kicks. There blocks blow ass.

If you close the gap on someone that studies pure TKD and you have any idea what you are doing he is fucked. It's over right there.

TKD is a decent art to supplement other arts, but by itself it is one of the worst.

3. Rommel

Rommel friends forever

i think tkd is one of those arts that serves as a nice bridge to muay thai or to kickboxing. Bas, GSP, bonner, seth, hoost and many kickboxers did do tkd before.

4. Placebo

Placebo New Member

When they were like 5? :p

5. Rommel

Rommel friends forever

it still puts ideas into their heads that help them and makes them different from the rest of the crop.

kind of like a judoka turned wrestler, a wrestler turned judokas, a samboka turned bjj'er.

6. Trueno

Trueno Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Μоdеrаtоrs

I've taken TKD for years. It thought me how to fight when I was growing up. It put inputs of how to punch, kick and block my opponents. Yes other martial art does this but TKD was one of the friendliest martial art that teaches discipline and protecting yourself rather than "KICK HIS ASS".

Its not a shitty martial arts but I think it's build bridges to learn how to fight, discipline and opens up to another kind of martial art to learn if even you want to pursue.

If my kids wanted to learn martial art I would put them in TKD at there very first time if they know nothing about fighting. Then Ill let them decide if they ever want to continue martial art taking it to another level.

7. Gomi Bear

Gomi Bear New Member

TKD sah boh neem taught me how to punch right.

:cool:

8. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

your points are very valid, and the flaws that you have mentioned can be adjusted accordingly to the person. TKD as mentioned is a good way to build a "bridge" to other martial arts as mentioned. i dont know, i just always feel like i have to protect TKD from bashers for some reason. haha, i guess its just because it has helped me in numerous ocasions during my life, and to see someone bash it, seems like theyre bashing me.

also j ddong 21 your a ba bo :big grin:

9. Gomi Bear

Gomi Bear New Member

aish, you are a ggoh joo eater :mamoru:

10. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

thats not what your oma said uh juk ae :mamoru:

11. Sammo

Sammo New Member

12. Gomi Bear

Gomi Bear New Member

oh moh nah, jjooh goh lae?:fawk:

13. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

ok lets quit with the hangul-mal =P

TKD is not good at what it claims that it does. Although it is primarily a striking art, it isn't even dominant at that. Muay thai fighters and boxers will have their way with most tkd practitioners. And the belt system has no integrity, as they are given out so easily to just about anybody. The thing about brazilian jiu jitsu is that they have to have a lineage for each belt (getting it under someone) and if the belt is given to a shitty student it looks bad for the instructor (thus he will hold the belt back until the student really deserves it). Also the majority of the training is rolling 100% live which is rarely done in tkd. This is the main difference that sets tkd back.

14. Placebo

Placebo New Member

Couldn't agree with you more.

15. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

this is what i am talking about, when i say McDojo. mainstream TKD has been so watered down, that all the instructors care about is catering to soccer moms and teaching their children crap for an hour while raking in a lot of money. many people get the misimpression that it is an ineffective art, its just all about finding the right school and instructor.

16. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

But why settle for something that is so notorious for being ineffective? If the skills I learn don't give me 100% confidence that I can handle myself in a fight, I am not willing to take any chances. I've actually seen many tkd vs bjj matches (and striker vs grappler matches) and know exactly what the outcome is. I too trained tkd in the past, but I am not going to be stubborn and stick with something that isn't effective. I've heard the "you haven't seen the real tkd/wingchun/kungfu" excuse all too many times, and quite honestly I don't think i will ever see the "real" version these people speak of.

17. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

TKD is a good art but few schools advocate hard continuous sparring (not just point sparring). In order to be an effective fighter you have to 1) learn how to take a punch/kick 2) learn how much power you need to use. When you are only point sparring you will not learn these things.

The most famous TKD move that is used successfully in MMA is the spinning back kick.

18. Supertrapped

Supertrapped President of 2:73

Most TKD instructors I know around here hand out belts like they're cookies to make the other person keep coming back so they can get their money.

Wow, that was a run on sentence lol

19. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

Even in my school, the TKD clubs have the most members soley b/c of the fact that they give out belts SO easily.

20. Trueno

Trueno Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Μоdеrаtоrs

So meaning, I wasn't really a black belter? :wtc:

21. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

you guys went to McDojos, and anyone who rises to a black belt in 2 years only did so because your instructor was a greedy, no talent faggot. i was in it for 6 years and only was at a red belt. like brolli said about the way jiu jitsu practitioners reciever their belt, is the same for some TKD schools. you just have to find one that doesnt cater to the masses and isnt all about money.

22. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

Sorry bud, you're preaching to the satanic choir. You are not saying anything that hasn't been said before and yet strangely we still don't care.

23. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

i'll upload a video that'll support what you just said :rofl:

but yeah, TKD BBs are given out like candy. it's primarily good for TKD v. TKD from what i've seen

24. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

I wouldn't say it's so much about how quickly you get your black belt but the effectiveness of the art due to not facing actual fighting situations (ie sparring). You just never really get to consistently learn how to handle yourself in a match.

Even if you only watch instructional videos on BJJ, if you actively drill the techniques with a partner you will be fairly decent.

But giving 10 year olds black belts is pretty rediculous though

Last edited: Oct 21, 2005
  25. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

Let me put it this way. Lets say I don't have any training whatsoever. I want to learn how to fight. What do I do? I find out what the champs train in no holds barred and mma and see which styles have been the most successful.

After watching a lot of the prides/ufcs/kotc's/ghetto 2 minute style vs style vids, I would already know right then and there that tkd has not been doing well. I would make a freakin bee-line to the nearest wrestling/bjj/mt/boxing gym and start my training.