GUN Tactical weaponlights...a useful tool or unnecessary?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Powderburn, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Powderburn

Powderburn New Member

OK guys weve all seen em.

Surefire X200, Streamlight M3, Insight technologies...my question is what your take on these lights?

Im asking because yesterday i picked up a new weaponlight that Streamlight just released for the 2006 year. It looks like an improved version of their M3 and M6 lights.
    The model is the TLR-1 and its an anodized-aluminum light like the Surefire x200 is, w/ Luxeon LED that puts out 80 Lumens for over 2 hours. has anybody else seen these in person yet?

just to be retarded in the shop i pointed the light at my eyes at arms length and flipped it on. I was blind for about several seconds. typical retinal burn stuff goin on. so i was really impressed. i bought it cuz it seems like the light in itself could be a less-than-lethal weapon for blinding a bad guy. what do u think?

so yea, sorry im rambling but this thing got me wondering if maybe a tactical light makes SOME sense and its not just senseless mall ninja gear.

p.s. i took a pic of the lights brightness in direct view w/ my camera. If anybody is curious ill have my buddy mike post the pic here for ya. all i can say is my cam was freaking out trying to auto-level the brightness cuz it was just so damn overpowering lol.

2. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

They can be pretty useful. Especially when clearing the house at night. Ever tried to open a door with a gun in one hand and a flashlight in the other? It doesn't work that well. Now with a weaponlight, you'll have one hand free.

3. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

Depends on what you're doing with it. If you're carrying, it makes concealed carry that much harder, due to the increased width, length, and shape of the pistol with a light on. If you don't train to use the light when appropriate, you'll either use it inappropriately, or you'll fumble with it when you do need it.

For a home-defense application, you NEED a good light source.

4. Powderburn

Powderburn New Member

as of right now the light is on my Glock 17 cuz its the only gun i own that has a light rail. unless i mount it to the rail on my AR forearm heh

5. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Good for home defense gun to investigate noises at night, useless for pretty much all other uses.

6. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

7. luvitlo94

luvitlo94 Make a choice and don't look back.

I am thinking about picking up the XML for my XD, I agree, I think it would be useful for home if it's at night.

8. Powderburn

Powderburn New Member

oh yea i think i forgot to mention that the weaponlight i bought had a pricetag of 139.99....not bad at all considering the M3/M6 lights are only about 10 dollars less than that and the surefire x200 is nearly TWICE that much...and ive seen the surefire x200 and i can honestly say this one is gonna give it a run for its money in a serious way. anybody that wants to check out this light go to Streamlight.com and check out the new products for 2006 section...its the TLR-1...they also make one w/ an integral laser called the TLR-2...the one w/ the laser is about 269.99 if i recall correctly...not 100 percent sure on that one..

9. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

I as gonna get one yesterday.. it was 139 though at my shop :hsugh:

10. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

11. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

For home-defense I think it's useful.

You can open doors or be on the phone without having to lose control of your light source.

12. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

I suppose its useful. I just cant justify spending $$ on it honestly..

My house came equiped with light switches.. I can flick them while holding a gun! Not to say the lights arent useful, I just havent budgetted for one

13. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Just think you come into a room with someone that's armed and if you hit them in the face with that light to identify them, that's going to stun them and blind them for a second giving you some more time.

14. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

dot

15. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

why do u keep it stripped?

quick access gun safe ftw

16. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

:werd: Some of those quick access safes aren't too expensive either from what I've seen. Probably won't stop a dedicated thief but I don't think his brother is going to take a crowbar to it.

17. Wizard of Poz

Wizard of Poz New Member

The light will either stunn them or either give them a target to shoot at.

18. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Have you ever been in a dark room and gotten hit with a bright weapons light? Even one at 65 lumens will kill your vision.

19. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

I would say, you should definatly have a light source. The quicker you ID someone the better. Plus. Like someone above said a few times. It would be a short stun with that many lumens in the eyes.

20. Accord

Accord New Member

On Guns&Ammo TV the other day they went to the Surefire Tactical Light Institute and showed some basic techniques when using lights both mounted on the gun and seperate carried in the other hand. Honestly after watching that, I don't think i'd want a light mounted on the gun, the FBI technique that they showed was pretty good, a light source mounted on your gun basically puts a bullseye right in front of you, but the FBI technique you hold the light as far away as possible from your body so if someone shoots for the light source, at worst they'd hit your hand/arm.

The 1-day Surefire Institute lowlight tactics course is only $165, but you gotta be a LEO to go to it :o.

21. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I think anyone who counts on a flashlight to "stun" someone is a fool. Yeah maybe if you're lucky...60 lumens across the room isn't the same as to shining the light directly in your eyes at arm length. I promise a light wouldn't stop, stun, or slow me at all. As a flash light however I think they're handy on home defense guns since theres a good chance you might be using it at night afterall.

22. Wizard of Poz

Wizard of Poz New Member

:wiggle: