GUN Tactical Response Precision Rifle Review

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by vwpilot, Dec 9, 2008.

1. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

A coupe weeks ago I flew down to Tennessee and took a precision rifle class at Tactical Response. It was a great experience with a great group of people and I highly recommend considering them for any weapons training you might want to do.

I took the two day class which consisted of shooting instruction out to 700+ yards (the extent of their range), which was followed by a Sniper class that added on stalking and other instruction based on concealment, and shooting from concealment. I only had the time for the short course, and only really needed that instruction, but will return likely for the rest of it for fun at some point.

Class started at their store location where we met the instructors and other students, before settling in for a half day of instruction. The instructors, Kyle Lynch and Jay Gibson were both extremely professional and really knew their stuff. Both had legit credentials as military and LE snipers and working in private security. Both really knew how to communicate the information and were not boring to listen to.

I was in a class of about 10 and most were alumni at Tactical Response and already knew the instructors. Kyle Lynch started the instruction and went over what makes for a good shot and related it to PABST beer.

Position
    Aim
    Breathe
    Squeeze
    T (just there)

Each of the points were gone over in depth and instruction on how to get in your natural point of aim and how important it is to good and consistent shooting.

He went on to what became probably the most important thing I took from the course, and that was using Mils and MOA measurements and what they were, how they related to distances and how to use them to account for distance, bullet drop and how to hold for wind. Kyle made it extremely easy to understand and it all finally clicked and is much easier to understand than it may seem upon trying to read about it yourself.

Jay went on to talk about other aspects of external ballistics, how to read for wind, how to call your shot, how to keep data books, and how to account for weather. Everything needed to make accurate shots.

Then it was to lunch and off to the range. We started with a briefing about safety and what to do in the case of an emergency, then went to the line to make sure we had good zeros on the rifles. I was shooting my Savage 10fp in .308, with an HS Precision stock, 20" barrel and Millett tactical scope. We shot 5 shot groups then went down range to examine the targets and make adjustments. I was zeroed in after two groups (the last time it was zeroed was at 70+ degrees and we were shooting in about 40 degree weather that day).

We reset our target knobs to match the zero on the rifles, then started moving to 200 yards, then 300 yards etc. All the while practicing our technique, getting tips from the instructors and simply learning to shoot consistently. Most everyone was shooting MOA groups at all ranges. We had only a few hours before it started to get too dark and so we packed up our gear and decided it would be Mexican for dinner. We all met at the local restaurant and ate dinner and talked shooting.

Day two started at 9 am at the range the next day. We started by getting instruction in other shooting postitions such as seated, kneeling and standing. We practiced each of them before going to a drill that is used in sniper classes that teaches moving and shooting from different positions. We would start seated at 100 yards and fire five shots as fast as we were comfortable. We got up and moved to the 50 yard line while reloading the rifles and would shoot from the 50 yard line five rounds in the kneeling position, then get up move, reload and shoot five from the standing position. It was pretty cool and at first was a little unnerving to me because you would be shooting past people or having them shoot past you as you moved as you were ready, not when everyone else was done, so you could be kneeling at 50 yards while someone in the lane next to you was still shooting from 100 yards. But it all worked out and wasnt as bad as it seemed or sounded. Everyone was very safe and responsible.

After that drill we moved back to shooting at known distances at 400 and 500 yards before taking a break to learn about using mil-dot reticles to estimate ranging. Again Kyle talked about this and made it much simpler than I had ever tried to make it before. We went to the line and started taking estimates on unknown distance targets out to a little over 500 yards. We knew the sizes of the iron maiden and Larue targets and could use the mil-dots to get close. Most were pretty good at it and would get within acceptable limits on their estimates.

Then came shooting those targets at unknown and estimated distances using the ballistics data for our rifles and calibers. It was pretty much free for all, range a target, check your dope on your range cards and fire shots, knocking down larue targets pretty much at will. It was a damn good time.

We then moved back and finished the day shooting at a target at a distance of over 700 yards. One person did the spotting and everyone took turns ringing the target. We were also dealing with a pretty stiff wind at that point and everyone got on target within a couple of shots thanks to the spotter sighthing the shots. I was able to shoot toward the end of the group and so had a very good read on the wind at that point and was able to ring it with three straight shots. I didnt see the hits, but the spotter said they were all within a couple inch group. Not that I could do that every time or the rifle is that special, but it did feel good to know I could shoot that consistently when it all was going right.

We all gathered around got our certificates, were told about some perks that are given to alumni of the course (such as the ability to take the same course any time at half price) and said our good byes. Most were moving on with a couple of the guys staying for the sniper course the following week.

I had to head back to Nashville that night to catch a flight in the morning, but those sticking around all made plans for dinner again to eat and swap stories.

It was a great weekend, I learned a ton about shooting longer distances and really took out of the course how easy using mil-dots and MOA numbers can be. The people were great, the instructors knew their stuff and how to impart that knowledge on the students and the entire experience was top notch.

If you're thinking of taking any training, I highly suggest thinking of these guys. Its a bit hard to make the trip all the time for me due to the flight, but I'll certainly be returning to Tactical Response for more training in the future. You wont be sorry and the money is very well spent.

Couple of shots taken by one of the instructors. Not me in any of them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 700 yard target, way up there on the hill.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  2. Fuckin :bowdown: Was .308 the caliber of choice out there?

3. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

so it was all at 77 yards, the 'distance' (200 yards, 700 yards) is simulated by the size of the target?

I are confused

4. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

If this is 77yds I hate to 700yds
    [​IMG]

5. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Can you pick up other people's brass? :mamoru::mamoru::mamoru:

6. reman

reman New Member

How much was the course and is there a website? Friend of mine went to GPS Defense (www.sniperschool.com) and paid about $2800,so I want to compare the two.

7. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

solid AAR :coold: and :rofl: at the MSM Zombie Hunter patch

8. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:ugh2: you're worthless

9. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

good write up, cool pics

10. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

very fukkin:cool:

11. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Yes, there was one guy shooting a .223 AR, but the rest of us had .308 bolt guns.

One guy brought his Barrett to shoot for fun during lunch, but it malf and would not work at all.

12. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Sorry about that, it was a misprint. It was all the way out to 735 yards I think was the farthest target after using a rangefinder. I just mistyped. So all distances out to over 700 yards were actually those distances so we had to use our range cards to figure bullet drop and also account for the stiff wind we had all day.

13. How did the guy with the .223 do at 700+ yards?

14. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

www.tacticalresponse.com

The two day course was $400 and you had to bring 300 rounds of ammo. We used a little more than half of that. Depending on how well you shoot, you could use more. :rofl:

It was WELL worth the money. The full week course was $1000.

They finish off the sniper course at the end of the week with the stalk and shoot just like in the military schools. The instructors look for you while you stalk them and shoot a metal target right near them. Pretty cool and I'll likely do it sometime in the future.

15. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

He had a tough time of it. We're not even sure he hit it since the wind was kind of howling and we couldnt really hear the hit. A .223 would be pretty faint and hard to hear anyway.

Plus, the poor guy had a duplex reticle on his scope. He did amazingly good in most of the class as one of the instructors worked with him one-on-one to show him how to range using the duplex and the distance between the thick and thin lines and using the zoom of the scope. It was pretty cool. He did really well all the way out to the 500 marker, we're just not sure he ever got a hit on the 700 yard target.

16. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

You could, but it would be dangerous. Remember TN is shall issue and virtually all there were packing sidearms as well as their rifles. :rofl:

17. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Oh, and one more note, the owner opens up part of his house as a "team room" where you can stay for free and room with the other guys in the class in a dorm type situation.

Pretty cool of him and a way to go for cheap. I chose a hotel cause I live in hotels with other people for my job, so I just wanted a couple quiet nights to myself.

18. Camp OTE

Camp OTE New Member

Wait, wat?

Can you elaborate on that a little more?

19. I'd love to try something like this with my Grendel once I get it built.

20. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

yeah, they stand off to the side, not RIGHT next to them, but they're basically near to the targets because the idea is they want the view from where the shot is coming from.

I wasnt there for that part, but was told by one of the other guys in the class that they stood on a hill that was off to the side of the target. You'd have to be a pretty bad shot to hit them from their location.

It was likely more dangerous doing the moving drill I talked about where someone is standing at 50 yards while someone in the lane right next to them is shooting from 100 yards.

21. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Definitely. I am already thinking of doing it again with an AR or another semi auto rifle.

If you do it, just do your range cards before going there. They had generic range cards already set up for .308 to give out since most use that caliber. But you'll need the range cards for some stuff and they wont have that available for that caliber.

22. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

:werd: I'd really like to be able to hit 500+ yards, that would be an awesome skill to have since like 90% of any ground infanty will have a difficult time engaging that far out. I don't see myself ever actually needing it, but like I said it would just be a cool skill to have. I've been teaching myself to use mil-dots with a computer simulator until I get a 6.5 upper and a mildot scope. :o

23. The 6.5 uppers that are available are cool, but you can pretty easily put one together that's even cooler. I just ordered a 16" Grendel barrel to replace the 24" Grendel barrel I just sold, and now I'm thinking of changing the order to an 18" barrel for better long range accuracy. If you build, you can easily use an adjustable gas block, which is a very good idea on any Grendel build. Also, you can pick your handguard. The AA handguard that comes on most of their builds is a carbon fiber tube, which is light, but doesn't have any mounting provisions. Other places use quad rails, but they're heavy and sharp, unless you cover the rails. I'm still undecided on the scope for the build.

24. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

25. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

That's a good idea, I didn't consider building one. I don't like the way the AA tube looks, I'd probably put on something like yar has to allow canted optics.

For a scope I like the accupoints but I'd really like to have turrets. The 10x Super Sniper seems to fit most of my needs and it's right around $400. :coold: