GUN "tactical" boots?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by DrewDown, Oct 28, 2008.

1. DrewDown

DrewDown OT Supporter

So I'm in desperate need of some boots in case of a apocolypse or "bug out" situation. Needs to be steel toed, comfortable and some sort of zipper or quick way of getting them on or off. And obviously the cheaper the better.

Actually I need these for work and WMD has always been a huge help in finding stuff like this. I'm a firefighter but I figure my requirements are pretty close to somethin you'd want if you're stocking up for SHTF situations. It's not uncommon for me to wear them for close to 24hrs at a time. I don't so much mind having to tie a regular lace when we get a call in the middle of the night. My beef is if I get a fire call in the middle of the day and I'm racing to get my shit on and have to fumble with knots.

I bought these slip on doc martins that a bunch of guys recommended and have worn them about 2 times. They feel like turnout boots. My pants are always gettin hiked up around the top and they are too loose for my tastes. Any recommendations?

2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I think doc marten's kind of suck. The sole is decent enough for standing comfort but the rest of the fit, especially without half sizes and widths can be crappy. I have a few cop buddies that dig danners. Personally I have no idea :big grin:

3. sprite

sprite Active Member

I wear Danners and they are bomb proof. You'll pay through the nose for them though.

If you don't have time to lace then one thing that would open up a lot of options for you would be lace-in-zippers.

4. DrewDown

DrewDown OT Supporter

Soybomb I agree with you about the Doc Martins.

Thanks guys, I will do some research on those danners. Every 6 months I get a uniform allowance so I dont mind spending a little as long as it's something quality that I like.

5. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i'd like to get some danners, but im :sad2: on the price

6. McCroskey

McCroskey Jonny, what can you make out of this? OT Supporter

These lace up, but I can speak from experience you can yank them on if tied. I bought mine for riding when I don't want to wear race boots and also hiking, work great for both. They're comfy, offer good stability, and are relatively light.

Friend of mine ordered some and has used them in a variety of sandboxes, she loves them

Oakley 6" SI Assault boot
    [​IMG]

7. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

tons of different brands out there. Redwing, Oakley, Bates
    all depends on the style you want. google up and you'll get a shitload of websites.

8. Hypnos_VI

Hypnos_VI JENGA!

doc martens are for looks only. ive owned 2 pairs of the 8 eye loop ones now. they feel great, and last a while, but they are by no means an assault boot.

Oakley boots on the other hand. all my friend in the military swear by them.

9. Hooch

Hooch New Member

I've used the 8" Oakley SI's for a few years now, pretty good boot I must say, definatly would reccomend them

10. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

I wear a pair of Altama all-leathers. Speedlaces, waterproof, come in a gajillion sizes including wides and narrows.

11. JP

JP Active Member

I was close to buying a pair of those oakleys once, guess i should look in to it again.

12. DrewDown

DrewDown OT Supporter

yea I was just hoping to narrow it down some. Sounds like their are quite a few options. Ill just keep lookin till I find something that looks practical and not too crazy. Sometimes when we call for a BLS transport these guys show up with cargo pants filled with crap and this crazy ass gear. Looks so funny

13. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

I have two pairs of danner pronghorns for hunting, awesome boots but each pair was like $170 :o

14. VanCandy

VanCandy New Member

I wear a pair of zip up danners that are the best boots ive ever owned. Had th em 3+ years now and they still are great. comfortable, still waterproof, and you can get them in a composite toe as well.

15. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I run Danners, but would like to switch to Meindls once I kill these. I hear that the Meindls are the cream of the crop.

16. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

bates are good shit

17. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

Little different boot for those uses. I own 2 pair of Danners, some Acadia 8" that I've worn for years. And a pair of Granite 2.0 8" that after ~18 months of daily use have a seam coming apart.

For woods or SHTF I'm going to lace up my solid hiking/pack boots. No need for a heavy safety toe work boot. For that I wear a pair of Asolo Fugitive GTX's. Much better suited for traveling with a pack on rough terrain.

18. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Most of those synthetic boots dont last a long time. Get a pair of Oakley SI Gatling + Seal Skinz Socks > * Also the SI Assault boots are great in dry weather but Ive seen quite a few people just bust ass running in the rain

19. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

20. smartypants

smartypants New Member

I prefer Redwings

21. DrewDown

DrewDown OT Supporter

yeah a couple people I know have those. I see them in the Galls magazines that they send to my station.

22. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

$50 Wolverines work great.

23. Gaunt

Gaunt blood for the blood god OT Supporter

[​IMG]

belleville are the most comfortable boots i have worn compared to my old black leather boots but these are my uniform boots

24. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I have a pair of smith and wesson boots, I got them at the local police uniform supply place, they were recommended to me by a former cop as being very comfortable. I've had them a couple years now, been through hell with them and I love them, they're a little beat up but still comfortable as hell. My only beef is they aren't water proof.

As for the knots I haven't tied them in about a year, the top 3 or so rungs aren't eyelets, so you can just give the laces a good pull on and off of them.

25. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

i wear brahma steel toe work boots daily... i hate boots with shoe soles.