tacoma 4x4 for $12k or wrangler for $9k?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Guest, Aug 27, 2001.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

This will be a primary vehicle that I can drive everyday and take to the nearby off-road course to play around with on the weekends. So, the tacoma is a 1996 4x4 V6 5spd, loaded, and the Wrangler is a 1995 4.0 5spd, with 30k fewer miles than the truck. I think the Wrangler would kick ass but the total lack of cargo space is a total turn off. A friend said there are lockboxes available for the jeep, but does anyone know how well they work and how much they can hold? Which 4x4 would you guys pick?

2. spoon-ex

spoon-ex Active Member

personally i would go with the jeep, to me they seem alot better off road and are probably easier to mod to make better in off road situations and there are boxes u can get to hold stuff, i can't think of n e off hand but i know they make them

good luck in your decision

3. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Go with the Wrangler if it doesn't have any serious problems.

Then pick up some magazines like Four Wheeler, Four Wheel and Offroad, and JP to check out the sea of aftermarket goodies.

:bigthumb:

4. TRUST ME! For a daily driver you will want the truck. The wranglers arent all that road worthy. In city driving they flat out piss you off. The Tacos are very impressive off road and still are very nice on the road. I have an S10 ZR2 and i use it for daily driving and still take it to the trails all the time and i couldnt be happier. My friend has a 95 Taco and its a neat truck. Its easy to lift. Go with the truck, if you go with the Jeep, well... dont bitch at me when you get into city driving and cant handle it.

5. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

Between the 2 I would lean toward the Toyota, they are great off-road trucks. The only thing that worries me is that it has 30K more miles. Plus as you say the truck is loaded so you'll have al the comfort features as well which makes daily driving more bearable. There are probably almost as many aftermarket toys for the the Toy as there are for the Jeep.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

toyota all the way!

By all means, you should definitely go with the toyota. I my self am a toyota owner, on my third one actually. The toyota by far is way more dependable as a daily driver as opposed to the jeep. Toys' are just getting broken in at about 100,000 miles. I have 129,000 on the one I own now and still drive her about 600 miles a week. Not to mention if you ever want to tow anything with any size or weight then you would definitely want the truck. As far as off - road capabilities, i've been wheeling with jeeps before, and my toyota's have always gone where the jeeps have gone if not further, keep in mind though that I live in Florida, all we have down here are sand and mud. So, if your into rock crawling, I can't give you any info. Another thing, if you plan on lifting the either vehicle, the toyota if lifted right, will ride as good if not better then the factory tuned suspension, even with bigger tires (i run 35's) a jeep is a jeep, and no matter what you do to it, it will ride rough (kinda like riding on a horse all day) As you can tell I am biased here in my statements, but trust me if you go with the toyota you will fall in love with it..... another thing, if you are looking for aftermarket accessories, Downey off-road specializes in nothing but toyota aftermarket parts, not too mention, there are plenty of other companies that make aftermarket parts (check out four wheeler magazine) keep us posted on your choice...good luck
    here is a thread that has a few pics of my truck.

http://forums.off-topic.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62826

7. nissanpower

nissanpower I :heart: PeyPey

I owned a 95 Wrangler, and it was a POS. Electrical problems, engine problems, etc etc. If it was a second car to goof off with, I'd say get the Jeep and get ready to pay. Since it's you primary transportation, get the Toy. Also, the top is a bitch to get on and off, no matter how easy it looks.

8. joedogg

joedogg Guest

yep go with the tacoma ... :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Sounds like an almost unanimous decision for the Toy. I still have a thing for wranglers though.. if the tacoma had the TRD offroad package that everyone keeps raving about, my choice would be a whole lot easier. Ok, well I'm test driving both tomorrow, so I'll tell you guys how it turns out.

PS: It's nice to see that you guys on this forum who seem mostly domestic truck guys still can give a fair assessment of Toyota trucks. Guess truck owners aren't as territorial as the performance guys

10. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

When it comes to full size trucks I'm all domestic. But I used to have a 94 Toyota 4x4 and I loved it. The only reason I traded it in was I needed something larger. The Toy is too small for a family and mine was an extended cab.

11. klintdog

klintdog Resident Lurker

The thing that most people are not mentioning is that between the Wrangler and the Tacoma, the Tacoma is going to hold it's re-sale value a lot better. Combine this with the longevity of the Toyota and the decision gets a lot easier.

12. pirate

pirate Track | DSLR | MTB

Go with the Wrangler. But I guess I'm a little biased:big grin:

13. Guest

Guest Guest

The Tacoma is every bit as off-road capable as the Wrangler. Probably more so especiallu if you get the factory locking differential that mine had. The quality is way better than the Jeep POS. Better engines. Better AWD system. Better reliability. Better everything.

To be honest the Jeep is pretty average. Below average when it comes to quality. It is surviving based on hype from its distant past when, before they were owned by Chrysler, when they ACTUALLY did make unusually rugged and capable trucks. That was a long time ago. Before Quadra-crap and 1,000's of recalls etc.

Ask my friend with Wrangler how many times my Toyota pulled his ass out of the snow when we we driving in the Siskiyou mountains. Ask him why his passengers side front seat is completely tweaked and bent out of shape because the steel frame is so weak. Ask him about how ridiculously poor his handling is on a flat dry road-----and that is WITHOUT a lift kit or huge mud tires! My Toyota handled like a fucking Porsche compared to the Jeep.

Just test drive both for about 20 min each and you will see the difference. :cool:

14. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

Wha did he ever get anyways? Don't you hate it when someone asks for advice but then doesn't post what they did?

15. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

What ass of yours did you pull that out of? An SUV (even though I do not consider a Jeep an SUV) will always have a higher resale value. You can find cheap pick-ups anywhere, not true for a Jeep. Also the 4.0 is extremely reliable, Ive seen people put easily over 200k on it.
    Of course the Jeep will be better off-road that is a given. The Toyota will not ride good on the road either, its a pick-up, it is not meant to drive well without a little load in the back. It will bounce all over the place. Also about off-roading or lifting the Taco, can you say IFS!

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Go and drive both on an extended test drive in traffic and on windy roads. When you see how much better the Toyota drives you will be convinced. I have driven both and the difference is so great that it cannot even be called a matter of opinion. The Toyota is THAT much better.

Drive them and the come back and tell us what you think. :big grin:

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Hey smart guy, the tacoma is going to ride way better with IFS instead of a SFA. My Prerunner is a little bouncy, but not enough to make it a pain in the ass to drive in. The only reason its like that is because the bed is super light. If you were only using the truck for rock climbing and stuff, I'd say go with the jeep since its already got a SFA to start off with. The tacoma will last you a lot longer though. I traded my lifted sonoma for my prerunner, and I'm way happier with my tacoma. And the TRD package isn't all its cracked up to be. The only thing different is the differential lock, stickers, and differently valved Bilstein shocks.

18. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

Yeah it may be better on the road, but who cares. If you want something that is good on the road get a car. If you want something good offroad, get a Jeep. Not even mentioning the whole unweighted rear end.

19. Guest

Guest Guest

He said its gonna be primarily something he drives everyday, with occasional offroading on the weekends. With how many problems jeeps have, i wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole if I had to rely on it to get me around town weekly. Tacomas are a lot more capable offroad, than people realize.

20. Guest

Guest Guest

Jeeps have been living on their reputation alone for a LONG time.

Today's Jeep is nothing special. There is nothing magic about the Jeep that makes it capable off road.

A stock Tacoma with the locking diff will WALK ALL OVER A STOCK JEEP on and off the road.

The Tacoma has more wheel travel, better ground clearance, more traction with the locking rear. Not to mention better overall engineering.

There is nothing magic about the Jeep. Just because it looks tough doesn't make it anything more than a box with a primitive suspension and open differentials (maybe LSD if you're lucky)

21. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

id like to see a ifs truck rock crawl mud bog just plain drive off road as well as a solid axel you might be able to go donw the same trails but it will be easyier in a jeep and you can only life ifs so far before you ahve to start making your own parts where there are so many more parts for the jeep i recomenced teh toy cause it would make a better daliy driver but if you plan on gettng a different car fo a dd get the jeep it is far better off road than teh toy

and dont listen to turbodisel boy to much he busy all the good stuff VW disel mac computer ect....

22. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

So when was the last time you saw a Tacoma in a ARCA event? Do you even know what that is? If you don't I would suggest you shut up because you are talking out of your ass. Many would consider todays Wrangler to be the best off-roader out of the box. How can you even compare something with IFS to it? If you were talking about older Tacos without IFS that would be different. Before you even bring it up (assuming you know this, but I doubt it), yes the Hummer has IFS. H owever the system on the Hummer is completely different from any other vehicle out there. However, they were made for high speed desert running. Not very partical for your everyday off-roader. If the Tacoma is so great than why do all the hardcore Taco owners do SFA swaps?
    Obiouvsly you know little about the Jeep line because if you took at look at the Grand Cherokee you would realize that its system far outdoes anything you can find on the Taco. Yes, the Wrangler might have an open diff, but you can get a locker real cheap. Hell if you really wanted to you could just weld it and have a "locker" for free.

23. Mikel

Mikel .

I love my beater Toyota. I also have a 95 Wrangler, both 4 cyl, both 4wd, both 5 speeds. I like the toyota a lot more, but having a removable top is kinda cool, and my toyota is probably the cheapest truck to lift in the world (straight axle). It's getting 3" and 33's as soon as I kill these tires.

24. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

Well at least you have a real truck that doesn't have IFS. Also why do you say it's the cheapest to lift because its straight axle? Wouldnt that be the same for any other truck with the same configuration? I think so. Being a Toyota has nothing to do with it.

25. Mikel

Mikel .

Call any off road place, a straight axle toyota is one of the cheapest trucks to lift, even a few bucks cheaper than a CJ. I'm talking suspension lift of course, body lift (shackles) is gonna be pretty much the same for any straight axle truck.