TA/Firebired Third and Fourth Gen advice

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Contemptor, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Contemptor

Contemptor OT Supporter

Most people probably know this stuff, but I'm going to tell a couple really easy things I did to my car. First of all, everyone's rear panel fades. Get this decal off ebay. It's only 10 bucks, easy to put on, pick your color, and it looks pretty darn good compared to a faded panel. Second, the door "Trans Am" decal. My TA is red, and my now black Trans Am logo looks a lot cooler.
    Next, headlight motors. Many people eventually get a grinding headlight motor, or one that doesn't work at all (like mine). If it's grinding, you can get a gear off ebay, but I recomend getting a refurbished motor. For 59 bucks shipped, you can get one from bell1437 off ebay. He has 93-97 and 98-02 models, and passenger or drivers side motors. They're pretty easy to install, I can post a guide if anyone wants.

Now, my questions. My window motors are dying. They are getting slower, and occasional I will have to wait a few min before putting them up. Is there anything I can get cheap off ebay to repair it (whether it be motor or gear or w/e), and how difficult is it to install? I've never taken a door panel off before.
    Next, my steering wheel radio controls don't work. I do have a non-factory cd player in now, but it should be the same, and it didn't work with the factory one either. The lights on them light up, but they don't work. Think they're just bad, or is it possible the original owner could have disconnected them or something? I'd have no idea where to even look to check.
    My python security/automatic entry has issues. From inside, automatic locks work to unlock and lock. When I hit one button on my remote, it should lock the car and activate security. When I hit it again, it disarms security and unlocks it. Or it should rather. Now, when I hit the botton it locks and arms security, but when I hit it again it only disarms security, so I have to use a key. Any idea why?
    Lastly, my turn signals are flicking slower and slower. I'm guessing this would be a really easy fix, but don't really know what.
    Sorry for such a lengthy post!

2. BOTLD92Z

BOTLD92Z OT Supporter

Autozone sells window motors, which is probably your best bet since GM window motors suck. Least when you go to replace them every year, it'll be free.

3. NeoPaladin

NeoPaladin New Member

Hehehe... jeez, this sounds like every single problem that I had when I owned my Firebird. Typical problems though, so not so bad.

With regards to the headlight motor, the stock gear is plastic, which is why it gets stripped. I believe that there is a company that makes the little gear out of some form of bronze alloy which is supposed to hold up a lot better. Might want to search for it, I don't remember which company it is.

For the window motors, that's a common problem. Just the nature of the car and how heavy that huge window glass section is. If you've never done it before on any car, plan a weekend to do it, as it can be quite a chore. It helps to have someone there to hold the window as well while you're working on it. Someone that's done window motor replacement before is the best.

Now that I've done it, it would probably only take me the better part of an afternoon. Make sure you pull down instructions from online, there's several good sites with tutorials, or get a Haynes/Chilton book.

As for the CD player thing, my stock setup didn't work with the steering wheel controls. I think it was just finnicky. I didn't care, because I don't use the steering wheel controls much anyway.

The turn signal is probably dying, which is why it's going slower. Try replacing the bulb first off and see if that does anything.

4. Contemptor

Contemptor OT Supporter

I just replaced one bulb since it burned out, still the same. Sorry if I didn't make it clear enough, the first couple paragraphs were recomendations to other TA/bird owners, the last few were questions.

5. bigshoe

bigshoe I'd rather shovel shit than study