Systems Admin Questions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mav2005, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Mav2005

Mav2005 New Member

Long time lurker, seldom a poster. I'm currently a junior in college (MIS) and I work 30+ hrs per week as a systems administrator. Upon graduation, I'll have been with my current employer for five years. Over my time here I have been exposed to a wide variety of software and technology. We use all Microsoft software (SQL Server 2005, Win 2003 server) so I don't have any Linux experience. However, we do use Crystal Reports, which to my knowledge is very popular in the corporate world so I'm glad for that experience. I'm in charge of all of the copiers, VOIP phones, virus removals, claims management software, CISCO VPN stuff, firewall, etc.

Anyways, my work is paying for my MCSE and CCNA certifications so I am working on those at this time. I'd like to try and squeeze in a Microsoft DBA certification before I graduate, but we'll see.

What I'm looking for is advice from current system admins or system engineers on their pay, work environment, etc. I figure I'll stay in this line of work for a few years after graduation (though I will leave my current employer due to lack of benefits/compensation), since I enjoy it and I'd like to earn more of the Cisco certifications (the material interests me). Should I setup a Linux box at home to obtain Linux experience or is this not needed? Do I need to worry over my lack of Oracle experience? (I oversee the databases here too so that's why I'm asking) What kind of pay range can I expect when I graduate working as a full time systems administrator? Are system administrators earning at least $20/hr on average for a 40hr week?

Any advice on the field would be appreciated.

Thank You

2. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

sounds like you are at least junior admin if not an sys admin with a good amount of experience.

it's up to you if you want to learn cisco, oracle, sql, linux etc, they will all bring you more paths to take down the sys admin route. I wouldn't rely heavily on certs unless your employer is funding it 100%. Even then, I feel it's a waste of time.

There are plenty of windows only positions, dba, cisco, linux admin, even application admins, one's who focus on LAMP, or virtualization admin, etc... Again, it doesn't hurt to learn everything you can, but not every employer or position requires it. It may be better to become an expert in a field that you like. seems like smaller employers or businesses needs an it guy that does everything, a jack of all trades. where large corps have teams of experts on certain fields. our unix group consists of 8 people, strictly unix.

Pay depends on location. 20/hr for junior admin is on the low end around here.

I am a unix/storage architect or senior admin or whatever I am titled in the HR database, but essentially I am an admin. trouphaz is another one as well. I'm pretty sure we both make six digits, but the region we're in pays higher than normal since cost of living in NJ is relatively high compared to other parts of the country.

i like doing what i do, but that's due to the employer i work for.

do you mind being oncall? That's one aspect administrators, depending on the business they are in, are required to do.

3. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

had an intern working for me at my last job making $25/hour, though only part time and no bennies. She had little to no experience and wasn't hired for her looks. :)
    Do what interests you and you'll be more successful. My experience has been heldesk, desktop, win server, unix admin, storage admin, dba in terms of salary low to high, but excelling in your own field can change that.

Oh and I don't know salaries for developers at all.

4. Vito_Corleone

Vito_Corleone New Member

Pick something and specialize.

5. Gilbutt

Gilbutt Last visit: 09-22-2006

I couldn't agree more with this.

As far as what salary to expect, it is all about location.

6. sonicsuby

sonicsuby New Member

And a lot of after-hours work in addition, generally. The UNIX team at my company is required to work at least two Saturday nights/month :ugh:

7. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

That's not common for all employers. For high tier SA's, they are usually on some type of on-call. Whether they get called often or not, that depends on the business.

Working long hours is not the norm, but again that differs from sector to sector, company to company.

8. sonicsuby

sonicsuby New Member

Because of our organization, they get a lot of calls. I hated being oncall in that team.