System tray icons disappeared...how do I get them back?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mammoth, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Mammoth

Mammoth OT Supporter

I just reformatted my computer and installed a new SATA hard drive (WD). After installing the OS (Window XP Professional) and doing all the updates, I noticed my system tray icons have disappeared. I'd like to get them back but cannot seem to figure out how. I've googled the problem & visited Microsoft's support page for answers, but neither provided any help. If OT could help me rectify the problem, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Right click start button > Properties > Taskbar > put a check in "show quick launch".

While you're in there, do yourself a favor and uncheck "Group similar taskbar buttons"

3. Mammoth

Mammoth OT Supporter

Thanks for trying to help Doc, but that's not what I'm looking for. Maybe this screenshot will help illustrate what I need.

[​IMG]

4. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

right click on taskbar > properties > taskbar tab > customize
    what can you do on the behavior?

5. Doc Brown

Oh, I read that wrong. After a format, there's no way those should be missing.
    That's really weird.

About what Doom was saying, you would need to have the "Hide inactive icons" checked, in order to be able to do the customize functions.
    But if for some reason it defaulted to that box being already checked, then it could have all the stuff turned off in there.
    If that's the case though, you only need to uncheck the "Hide inactive icons" box.

6. Mammoth

Mammoth OT Supporter

Thanks guys....after hours of searching different message boards, I FINALLY figured it out. Check this out....how bizarre is this? I have no idea how the registry was changed after a reformat to reflect these settings, but I fixed them.

So, the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE binary value was set at "0" like it was supposed to be. But somehow, in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER section of the registry, the binary value was set to "1". As soon as I corrected it to "0", all the icons reappeared.

Things shouldn't be this difficult after a reformat. Damn.

7. Doc Brown

Man, that's really messed up.

:eek3:

Put a backup drive in that bad boy, and run an Acronis image in there.
    That way you won't ever have to mess with that again.