System to system file transfer

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by redwingg91, Jan 13, 2004.

1. redwingg91

redwingg91 Guest

large file transfers from PC to laptop (half my HD)...

not sure about the best way to go about this.i was thinking DCC over the internet maybe?

anyone who's done this or knows about it know the best way?

Thanks

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

are the PC's on the same network? Why not just use file sharing (SMB protocol) to transfer? I know it's not the fastest, but is a quick solution. But that's only if they are on the same network, otherwise, you could just setup a cheap ftp server, and do it that way if they are remote.

3. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

i could never get SMB to work, i just use AIM on both comps, and it utilizes the full LAN speed, usually 850-900Mb/s

4. redwingg91

redwingg91 Guest

they aren't networked, but i can change that quickly..SMB could work i guess but i'm not too familiar with setting up NetBIOS over TCP(i'm not even sure if thats right).I suppose AIM ,mIRC,or ftp would work tho.thanks :)

5. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

What OS on each machine? Both are the same physical location? Same network?

If they are in the same physical location, and there is not a network go get a cross over cable. Give each an IP address use the cross over cable between the NIC's. If its Windows share a folder and your off to copy all you want. (If you have questions on how to do this just do a google for windows networking) If its Linux you can either setup Samba or an FTP server and do the same. Either way, at the worst if you know the IP addresses you really do not need to worry about the NetBIOS itself. (i.e. if they are windows right click network neighborhood, click map network drive, type \\[ipaddress]\[share])