system setup

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by chaggot, Jan 16, 2004.

1. chaggot

chaggot New Member

i have 2 IDMax 12"s and an arc audio 2500cxl amp and right now it is running 2 ohm stereo. my friend told me it would sound better running 4 ohm mono. what will sound better.

btw its in a blazer

2. 04

04 Guest

Uhhh, it running 2ohm stereo is the exact same thing as running 4ohm mono in terms of output and sound quality...

Now, if the music he plays back has a LOT of seperation between the left and right channels (I can't think of any that does) then it would make a difference.

3. 04

04 Guest

What reasons did he give for running the amplifier at 4ohms mono would sound better?

4. BlkX

BlkX New Member

No, its not the same... Your friend is right. You should run your subs in mono since bass isn't directional. Now, the difference won't be major, since it really depends on the recording as to whether there's any left to right bias in the bass. The problem you could run into is one sub hitting harder than the other because of the stereo signal they are seeing right now. You are better off running it in 4 ohm mono assuming you can achieve that impedance (which it sounds like you can, looks like you have D4 subs).

5. chaggot

chaggot New Member

ok...thanks guys