System seems like it is getting slow...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Dismay, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Dismay

Dismay Elitist Prick OT Supporter

and I don't want to re-format. I just want to clean my computer up bit and restore some of the quickness it had with the fresher install. I am also seeing decreased reliability in the system itself. I feel like I may have contracted a virus because a lot of troubly came out of no where.

New HD and OS install might be the only way to go?

Specs:

Win XP, same installation 1.5 years?

40 GIG 7200, 90% full with a lot of file management deleting and adding, defragging.
    768 PC2100
    Athlon XP 1700+

2. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

1.5 years, oh my. Reformat that shit ASAP.

J/K, but that is coming from someone who reformats EVERYTHING at least every 6 months.

Try going throught the add/remove programs menu and delete all the stuff that you dont need. Then use Windows XP's clean up disk feature to get rid of all the temp stuff that you dont need.

If that doesn't do anything then backup, and reformat.

3. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Maybe SystemWorks may help a little but same installation for 1.5 years? Like Rob, I reformat about once every 90 days. Keeps everything running nice and smooth. ;)

4. Dismay

Dismay Elitist Prick OT Supporter

Everything has been runniing nice and smooth up until now. I only reformat when I notice a difference.

I probably won't reformat and just get a new drive so I don't lose all my stuff on my OS Partition. Then transfer all the old stuff to the new drive. I like to replace drives before they break. Seems like the break every 2 years or so.