system running rather hot...any troubleshooting idea?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Playboy, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Playboy

Playboy Part time arrogant bastard

I noticed this after I was playing CoD, when it just locked up.

I noticed my make-shift temp sensor reading "100" so I had gone to restart. I checked the temp via the BIOS, then Sandra, then MBM5. Here are my temps:

CPU: 135F
    SYSTEM: 105+F
    PSU: 147

and Core 0 @ 1.55V. :dunno:

My PSU fans are working correctly (both of them), and MBM just alarmed me of the Voltage going on. I'm wondering what is causing all this heat?

I have a total of 3 case fans, 2 psu fans, 1 processing fan, 1 vid card mini fan, 2 HDD min fans. They all seem to be working.

The room itself is a steady mid 70s (if not lower). Anything that I can try or help? This sucks :(

MSI875P
    P4 2.8c

2. My observation has been that the retail packaging of cooling components has been lacking and insufficient. If you're keen on preserving the life of your computer components, I'd suggest nothing less than an SLK series heatsink and 80mm fan.

If those are not your average temps, I'd suggest reseating your heatsink and reapplying a new layer of AC3 or AC5. If the computer has moved or been jostled at all recently, then it may have disrupt the contact. Just hte slightest misalignment can cause your temps to go awry.

3. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Is the case on the floor, on the desk or in the desk?

Just to make sure of something else, some poeple to screw this up.
    The 3 case fans; 1 is in front blowing into the case and atleast 1 is the back up high blowing out. Where is the 3rd fan and which way it is blowing?

As for the AC3 or AC5, a good idea just don't use too much. Too much can have the opposite results.

You might want to think about going with water cooling, that will seriously suck the heat out.

4. Playboy

it's on the floor. actually there's two fans in the back and one on the sie. i have no front fan. it's never been an issue before? :dunno:

i think that perhaps the problem is that yes the case have been moved around alot to replace drives and cables so MAYBE the paste is wearing thin.

5. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Is the side fan intake or exhaust?

Might want to think about putting another fan in the front as an intake.

6. Playboy

Well, the CPU fan isn't the prob, that's running at a strong 5k rpm.

I've cooled down the pad the room's in, with a fan blowing air into the room. For now I've set up a regular moderately-sized fan blowing INTO the case considering I've left it open. According to Sandra AND MBM these are my current readouts:

Board: 33C/91F (raised from 89 since startup)
    CPU: 63C/145F (steady since startup)
    Power/Aux: 61.5C/142F (lowered 2 degrees since startup)

then again, either for the board it's 89 or 91 depending on the diagnostic tool I used. And I *heard* MBM has inaccuracy issues :dunno:

I will definitely get a front fan as I don't have one.

7. Mark

Mark Diesel Junkie

is it a Pentium IV? If so, take off teh heat sink, and rup the top of teh processor with some fine-grit sandpaper JUST A BIT. But sone new heat transfer goop (available at comp-usa or any other computer store) and be generous with it. And while you have the heat-sink and fan off, but a new one just for good measure.