system recommendations : 99 blazer

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by P07r0457, Mar 2, 2005.

1. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I just picked up a 1999 Chevy Blazer 4x4 for a toy... The stock head unit has CD and casette, but when you put a CD in it says ERR. I checked with the local chevy dealer and they said I'd need to replace it, and a stock HU is $400 from them... Screw that!

Does someone have a stock Chevy/GM head unit with CD that they wanna sell?

If not, what recommendations do you have for aftermarket head units? I will want to use the built-in amp because I have no room for additional amps or a sub... This vehicle needs to carry cargo! CD is a must. MP3/WMA would be nice, but not required. I don't care about cassette. AUX input is required. Preouts are not required, but would be nice just in case I change my mind later on. I really wanna stay $200 or under... But if you have a head unit that's worth going over, then please mention it. Absolute max is $300, however.

I was looking at this unit: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-jnQgWq...id=morephotos&pi=1&i=130DEHP77D&display=L#Tab because it's designed specifically for the GM dash. Any thoughts on it?

Also, what should I do about speakers? I figure I could get the head unit first and then see how it sounds... But if I were gonna replace speakers, what should I do? Keep in mind that I have no plans to add a sub, so I need decent low-end out of the speakers.

2. 04

04 Guest

How much is the budget for speakers? And for the headunit, would you be opposed to using a 1 DIN unit, or do you want one like the Pioneer you posted, that wont require a pouch?

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I would prefer a perfect-fit... but after checking some websites, there seem to be only a couple models that would work that way, and I don't know if they're any good. So I would consider 1-din units.

I have not set a budget on speakers because I'm not sure what I should be looking at for being run off of the head unit. I'd probably only do the fronts (leave the rears stock). is $100-150 reasonable for the fronts? There are speakers in the dash, and in the side doors.

4. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

I'd say just go with a 1-din Alpine unit with mp3 capability. It should be a pretty solid and quality head unit. Yea, you'll have to put a 1-din pocket in there, but I think it would be worth it. I'd say $150 is reasonable for the fronts if you buy off of eBay. Plus, differences in sound between higher end speakers and mid-range won't be as apparent running off the internal amp of the head unit. You could also look at the V12 series of head units from Alpine that have better internal amps if they are still available (04 mentioned this in another thread, so I'm going off what he said).

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I took some measurements, and there's no way that an alpine 1din unit and a 1din pocket will fit. Not to mention that I *HATE* the look of pockets anyway... but that's beside the point because there's no way it'd fit, anyway.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

7. veonake

I don't understand. You said above a 1-din would not fit, yet a 2-din unit will fit, and the only difference between 1 and 2-din afaik is the vertical dimension. Secondly, the link you posted directs me to a 1-din pioneer unit. A pioneer 1-din will fit but an alpine won't? I guess I need some clarification.

Not a bad choice for speakers though.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

never did I mention a 2-din. The link in my very first post is a 1.5 din specifically made for a GM vehicle. Unless I get a GM head unit, I have to get a 1-din... However, with a 1-din unit, I need a special adaptor for the dash... you cannot use a 1din pocket because that'd require 2-din space.

9. veonake

Ok, I just assumed. They sell half-din pockets you know.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

okay, again, they make gm dash kits that accept a 1-din head unit and does not fit a pocket...

any thoughts on head unit?

11. veonake

That Pioneer Premiere will do the job fine. I would look at Alpine as well. The model number is slipping my mind right now, and I think they just introduced new models, but anything in that same price range will at least equal the sound and build quality of the pioneer. You could also look at the Eclipse 3444.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i refuse to do another eclipse... I had one and the build-quality of the unit was HORRIBLE.

13. veonake

:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

I guess that is why they are regarded as one of the highest quality manufacturers of head units before Nakamachi. Don't let one sour experience taint your entire view man.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I consider a $400 blunder a pretty big deal.

15. veonake

Did you not get it repaired under warranty? I thought Eclipse has like a 5 year warranty. All I am saying is that one case of failure does not render the massive amounts of rave reviews wrong, and does not mean you are likely to receive another defective unit. Oh well, I'd recommend Alpine if you don't want to go Eclipse again. I'd buy the 9833 if it were me, as the 9835 is just extra money for a display (which you may or may not like), and no extra features. That is year 2004's model, not sure if the 9833 is still for sale or not.

16. 04

04 Guest

I understand what you mean. The only headunit I've had fail on me was a Sony, and I'm not ever buying a Sony head unit in the future because of that.

My take on the matter is, there are plenty of other brands out there.

17. veonake

True, I understand it too, but then again, we both know Sony is not known for quality and reliability with Xplod models, whereas Eclipse is.

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I didn't really like the 9833... I did like the 9835 screen, tho.

As for the eclipse warranty, they claim that the cd-eject mechanism is not covered... my question was, what the fuck is, then??? Luckily I had the good-guys extended warranty and they let me return it.