System/Network Admins - do you run firefox?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Alt+F4, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Alt+F4

Alt+F4 official OT hockey stud

I just took over two schools and they are currently running FF on a non-domain network. Guy before me did nothing for five years, so I'm setting up a domain, a user list, and trying to implement some group policies. Everyone has been a local admin for years, so they're not gonna like it, but oh well.

Curious about IE7...seems to have some of the good features of FF, and with the bonus of being able to be controlled by group policies. FF can not, as far as I can tell. Think it's worth switching all my machines over to IE before school starts. Good idea or no?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Personally, I use Opera. However, for my domain, IE is mandated per group policy. Anyone found trying to circumvent it gets one warning, then a term.

My problem with IE is typically spyware, and a lack of tabbed browsing. For a work environment, the tabbed environment isn't required. As for spyware, you should be using content filtering, and have a policy for no non-work-related browsing, so that's not much a concern, either.

3. Alt+F4

Alt+F4 official OT hockey stud

Well with IE7 they've introduced a FF-like tabbed browsing as well as search engine in the top right - two features I love in FF. However, the spyware thing is why I preach FF to all the private users I talk to, and I don't know how the new IE deals with that. And of course I can mandate no non-work-related browsing, but we're a school, and the kids are all over the place on websites. I do have a sonicwall filter so that helps, but it's tough to eliminate it.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well, if you implement a domain, each student should have their own login, and then don't allow guest usage (or no inet access on guest accounts, perhaps). You can easily track policy violations. If you restrict the accounts properly, then spyware can't do too much, anyway. Most problems stem from home users going crazy, doing file sharing, running activex un-restricted, etc. Things that should be impossible in your network, anyway.

We have an intranet that everyone can get on and use (and 98% of work-related functions can be done through the intranet). For the remaining 2% that you actually need public internet access, they have to enter a user and password (unique and trackable to them) to get through the proxy.

5. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

In all the Windows domain environments I've been a part of (junior high, high school, university), spyware was no concern since the computers ran DeepFreeze. The internet access was well-controlled (proxy, firewall, etc), but even if something did get through, just reboot the machine and it's clean again. Since all user files and profiles are stored on the file server anyway, it works great.

Not sure how locked down the environment you're setting up will be, so this may or may not be a solution for you.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

So far I'm not pleased with IE7. The buttons are scattered all over the goddamn place. I'll like it better when/if they make the toolbars more flexible and intuitive and less fucked-up.

I'm still not used to tabbed browsing and I've been using it for about a month now; I see it as a step backwards in UI design, because now instead of checking my taskbar to see what websites I have open, I have to check my taskbar AND the tabs in every instance of the browser. And it's damn hard to break the habit of clicking the "X" button when I'm done looking at a website, because now it could very well close ALL of the websites I'm browsing. So, from my point of view, tabbed browsing really isn't all that fantastic of a feature. I could use IE6 (with the appropriate security features added) for the next ten years, for all I care.

7. A Cow

A Cow OT Supporter

everywhere i go they use FF.. i also sugest that you do use firefox. Opera has kind of come and gone.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

People that say that fit into one of two categories:

1) tried opera, liked it, saw the Ad, and got turned off by having to pay $25. -- This is no longer an issue, as Opera is FREE and ad-less, so if you were in this category, come on back... the door is open.

2) never knew enough about opera to try it. They were using MSIE and then their sackriding buddy told them about this "revolutionary" product called FireFox. (It's really just Netscape Navigator, but don't let anyone hear that) They move to FireFox, and see that it is better than MSIE (what isn't?, well safari and konquorer, but that's not the point :p) They never bother to try Opera, which has everything FireFox has, usually had it first, and always does it better!

Honestly, people tell me how fast FireFox is... But can anyone explain why on EVERY machine I have FF/Opera, Opera always loads faster?

People love the "tabbed browsing" that FF has... But who had it first? Opera. Who does it better? Opera.

What about extensions? Opera has supported them for YEARS. We didn't see too many, tho. Why? Didn't need em! simple things that people at FF think are "amazing", such as "downthemall", is actually already INTEGRATED into Opera. Ctrl+9 ftmfw!

FireFox had that "google search" bar that everyone critisizes MSIE7 for "copying"... but everyone ignores that FF stole it from Opera! Oh, and I remove it from my toolbar, because prefixing any string with "g " in the address bar AUTOMAGICALLY searches google for it :mamoru:. So not only did opera have it first, but they make it EASIER.

There's a thousand more reasons that Opera > FF. So far, I know of only TWO reasons to use FF. One is to test websites I've developed, to ensure they work. And so I use it for about 5 minutes, just to check. The other is one website I frequent (which ALWAYS worked in opera, before) started doing browser-checks, so I have to load in FF until they listen to my hatemail that Opera fucked their mother and she liked it.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I don't know how you can think that... Tabbed browsing saved my life. I have only one web browser window open at a time, now. It's saving my taskbar from all the clutter!

In terms of the "X" button, I don't have that issue because I'm more keyboard-oriented. ctrl+w FTMFW!

And when I do use the mouse, Opera has built-in support for mouse "gestures". So a quick "right button + drag left" minimizes the page, and a "right button + drag down" closes it.

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I dunno; it just never bothered me to use the taskbar for switching between browser windows. I don't use a double-thick taskbar, either.

Stupid, unnecessary acronyms FTMFL.