System is running slow, finding the problem?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kerpal, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

I've got an Athlon 1800 w/ 512 mb running Windows XP. 2 80gb 7200 rpm drives (Seagate/WD).

Lately the system has really slowed down. All it's mainly used for is intenet & downloading, but it seems to be taxed all the time, even if I'm just opening a folder or browsing w/ Firefox.

I hear my hard drives making noise all the time despite regular defrags. I've run AdAware, Spybot, and EZ Antivirus and got rid of some things initially, but the system is just as slow now that it checks out clean.

I usually have MSN, AIM, EZ Antivirus and Epson Status Monitor running. I'm going to remove the latter 2 from startup and see if that helps any, but it's been gradually slowing down since before I installed either of them. The computer runs like it has a huge memory leak even with no programs running.

I don't get it. How can I determine what's causing the problem?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

hit ctrl+shift+esc. What is your memory usage?

3. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

Click on START > RUN > type MSCONFIG and hit enter.

Now select the tab up top that says "STARTUP". If more then 10 boxes are checked, then this might be your problem. If you just use your PC for things like using the internet and "small" stuff then you should be ok, your system is ample enough to work without being taxed.

If you can take a scrrenshot of the startup area of "msconfig" and i can hel you more.

4. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

I usually check startup often and only keep a few things in there... msn, msn plus, and spybot search & destroy resident (anti spyware monitor). I removed the printer monitor & the antivirus software as well as a couple other things (don't know what they were, possibly spyware since I just ran checks again and found a couple things) and it sped up the system a bit. It's still a little slower than it should be but that helped a lot.

I'm not sure which memory usage you mean but out of 523,760k total physical memory I have ~ 223,450k avalible, and 260,108k system cache. Kernal memory is ~ 36,890k with 25,492k paged and ~ 11,390 nonpaged. CPU usage is about 5%.