System Hookup Question?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Skyline22GTR, May 27, 2004.

1. Skyline22GTR

Skyline22GTR OT Supporter

I have a lanzar 1800D amplifier:

1 x 400 Watts RMS at 4 Ohms
    1 x 800 Watts Max at 2 Ohms
    1 x 1200 Watts Max at 1.3 Ohms Bridged
    Stable at 1-ohm
    Class-D Design
    Mono Block Subwoofer Amplifier
    1 Ohm Stereo Stable
    Frequency Response: 15 Hz-35 kHz
    S/N Ratio: 90 dB

and 2 Cerwin Vega HED-12 inch subs:

12" Subwoofer
    HED-12DVC (dual) Voice Coil
    Frequency Response: 20-500 Hz
    Power Handling:
    RMS: 200 watts
    Maximum: 400 watts
    Sensitivity: (2.8v/1m): 90 dB
    Impedence: DVC MODELS: 4 ohms/coil

Those are the specs on the componnents. I have been reading up and figured a little out about amplifier-subwoofer hookups but still am a noobie. If I were to hook up the two subs in parrallel to the amp it would give me an impedence of 1 correct? Either way is it safe to do a parrellel bridge for this amp with my two subs.
    LOOK ON THE INTERNET FOR EXACT SPECS IF I AM MISSING SOME INFO YOU NEED TO MAKE JUDGEMENT.

2. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

yes wire in parrellel and ull get a 1 ohm load.

3. On_One

On_One Guest

Newbie + 1 ohm load on 1.3 ohm stable amp + 600W RMS to 200W RMS subs = fried coils, fried amp, fried ego

4. kgb006

kgb006 New Member

you dont want to run a cheap swap met amp like lanzar at 1ohm
    :uh:

if you do, bye bye amp/subs

5. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

im just goin by the ratings, it says 1 ohm stable. what kind of lanzar amp is it? not all lanzar amps are crap

6. On_One

On_One Guest

Based on the fact that it does not give a power output spec for 1 ohm load i would not advise doing it. More than likely below 1.3 ohms nominal the amp will go into thermal run away and put out less power while generating more heat. :nono:

I do agree though, not all Lanzar amps are crap. The Opti series are very nice and i've heard many good things about the Vibe1200d for bare bones cheap power.

7. 04

04 Guest

I've got a vibe 1200d and it is quite powerfull and DIRT cheap. I run a 4ohm load on it though, and it was running a 2 ohm load awhile back, and got pretty hot at times, I probably wouldnt go any lower in nominal impedence than 2ohms or so. I also heard stories of people blowing theirs after playing it loud for extended periods with a 1ohm load on it. Probably the same thing for the 1800d.

8. merlinski

merlinski and I'm his friend, Jesus

You have several wiring options. The subs themselves, since they have dual 4 Ohm voice coils, can be wired for 2 Ohms each or 8 Ohms each.

If you wire them for 2 Ohms, you can wire those in parallel for a load of 1 Ohm or in series for a load of 4 Ohms.

If you wire them for 8 Ohms, you should wire them in parallel for a load of 4 Ohms.

If you run 1 Ohm into that Amp, with those subs, they'll be instantly blown. Even at a load of 4 Ohms, the Amp is too powerful for those subs. You should try to match the RMS output of the Amp with the RMS rating of your subs. Even if you wired them at 4 Ohms, as soon as you hit a strong beat in your music, the power would exceed the maximum that the Subs are rated for. Sorry, but that's a dangerous system.

9. 04

04 Guest

I disagree. There are more factors to take into consideration than just the RMS power output of the amplifier and the speakers.

For example, SPL competitors play pure tones in some cases giving their woofers more than 4 times their rated power input for short bursts. And they dont destroy the woofer. And this is with a 100 percent duty cycle too!!! Even heavily compressed music has at least a 25% duty cycle or so. With MUSIC, and not pure tones, the woofer should be able to handle A LOT of power before destruction.

10. merlinski

merlinski and I'm his friend, Jesus

But if he runs 1 ohm on those subs, he'll be getting upwards of 1000 Watts during peak points, through subs that are rated for 400 Max. And while competition subs may be able to handle overpowering, these are Cerwin-Vega, and not the same quality.

11. 04

04 Guest

They should still be able to handle that kind of power for peaks. If he watches the volume control they should be fine.

However many people turn their systems up so loud that they are constantly clipping their amplifiers to a large degree. If he does that, then yes, the speakers would probably get destroyed.

12. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

thats why theres a gain. No sub will instantly blow like ur saying. And peak means nothing.

13. On_One

On_One Guest

1. No sub will instantly blow unless you got a defect orare a freaking moron

2. Most enthuasist perfer to exceed the rms rating of their driver. For those who know what they are doing headroom is a good thing.

3. You have to realize music is dynamic and the odds of ac
    ually exceeding the drivers critcal limits for a signifacant period are slim. Many of us overpower are speakers specifaclly for the strong beats. Headroom is your friend