system for $1500-$2000

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Dunken, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Dunken

Dunken Welcome to the team.

sorry guys, i really dont know much about systems at all but i have a connect for cost prices. i'm looking into getting 2 12's, 2 speakers, 2 tweeters, and an amp. i got a single cab 97 f-150, its decently roomy for a single cab.

any options on what i should get would help, sorry for being a noob. thanks.

2. merlinski

merlinski and I'm his friend, Jesus

I'd budget $600 for the subs, $500 for the speakers/tweeters, and $800-$900 for the amp. Get a 4-way amp, send a channel to each of your component speakers, and bridge the remaining 2 channels to send to the sub box.

I'd go with focal component speakers, and rockford subs/amp, but that's just my personal opinion.

3. percent

percent deluded

focal sound like a good choice for the compoents - though i would highly recommend going to a audio store and listning to everything. alont of stuff is personal perference. but i would go with a brand besides rockford fosgate for the subs/amp. Eclipse makes some great subs and amps (and head units). That would proley be my choice. Maybe look at alpine also for the subs/amp.

4. Dunken

Dunken Welcome to the team.

whats your guys opinions on type-r? i forgot to say i also need a deck ;x. also how high of watt amp?

5. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

Making a suggestion according to crutchfield you car likes 5.25 components up front or 6x8 speakers so we'll go with the 5 1/4 definitely.

prices on everything but the subwoofer are from ebay seller indoaudio who offers a full rendition of the mfg warranty inhouse. All prices include shipping and insurance to you

HEADUNIT: Alpine CDA-9831 $295. Seller indoaudio, full in house warranty (good seller)

FRONT SPEAKERS: Diamond Audio s500s 5 1/4 component set $300 also indoaudio with 1 yr inhouse warranty

SPEAKER AMP: Orion 4002 [email protected] $224 also from induaudio on ebay with 1yr warranty

SUBWOOFER: pair of Resonant Engineering SE 12" subwoofers. dual 4ohm. ~$340 www.respl.com

SUBWOOFER AMP: Orion 1200D [email protected] subwoofer amp $399 ALSO from indoaudio w/ their warranty. So everything is warrantied 1yr+ in your setup. Subs i think would be 2 yrs.

I would be happy with this setup. None of these components are bad, in fact i consider them very very strong for the amount of money invested. I would be proud to be running this setup

TOTAL COMES TO: ~$1558 shipped

factor in costs for a custom box and wiring and you are set, should finish at $1700 or less for a really badass system

-Alex

6. pharcyde183

pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. MacAlert

MacAlert Maxima driver OT Supporter

Just remember, if you buy Diamond Audio speakers online, DA WILL NOT WARRANTY your products. Diamond Audio does not authorize online sales.

8. pharcyde183

Right, the company that sells the products has their own 1 year in house warranty

9. DaddyThirdLeg

DaddyThirdLeg SMASH puny humans

There are way too many possible combinations of subs, speakers and decks amps to tell you what you should get. But I can tell you, you won't find a better deal then this

10. pharcyde183

yeah i guess you could save $100 with the JBL amp could be worthwhile, i forgot it was 1ohm stable. 2 orion amps would hook hot though :big grin:

11. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

i agree with this setup in every way. Remember, the amplifiers should be your least concern, no need to spend $$ on some big name like JL because there is no such thing as "this amps Sounds better than this amp". Another idea is you could check out the combos from elemental designs, the combos are VERY cheap since they are pre-order, 2 12" K's and a 1000 watt amp i believe is like 430 dollars. The only disadvantage is you would have to wait till like july to get them.

12. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

To an extent, I'd agree with you.. but also, to an extent, I'd disagree... Remember that this whole "no amp sounds different than another" thing is based purely on defeating basically every difference between the two amplifiers... Once you start throwing amp options, such as different x-over slopes, dsp's, etc (assuming you are using these on-board features) you will hear a difference... based on pure power alone, very hard to tell any difference given certain circumstances...

13. 04

04 Guest

True, but many times these features arent even used. Many people use external crossovers. And most amplifiers I know of dont have many DSP functions. People that buy a quality amplifier for its supposed "sound signature" are buying for all the wrong reasons. I'd almost compare it to watches. Do the people that spend thousands of dollars on an Omega watch actually believe it tells the time better than a 20 dollar quartz watch? If they do, they are either ignorant or just stupid. They buy the watch for its craftsmanship, looks and value.

Interesting that Capone28 brought up JL amplifiers. JL's VP of marketing once admitted on the carsound forum that the illustrious "sound signature" that people claim to hear exists just in their minds. I for one can't even believe he did that, as he probably alienated a few customers. But at least he stuck up for what he knew was right instead of trying to pass the horseshit other manufacturers claim to get you to buy their products :rolleyes:

14. merlinski

merlinski and I'm his friend, Jesus

Yeah, I'd agree 04.

I'm not a huge Rockford Fan because I think their amps have a better sound signature, I like them because I trust their manufacturing, their engineering, their build quality, and I know that their amps are, if anything, underrated in their power output.

15. Sh0kka

Sh0kka New Member

indoaudio is a piece of shit. his warrenb,they "inspect" the equiptment, it you crank it up rpound its not covered. i wouldnt go with ido audio customer service is garbage and the "warrenty" is a POS

16. pharcyde183

I don't get your point. Warranties cover manufacturer defects. If your product dies because of a bad part you send it back and they replace it. No manufacturer should ever have to cover a product that the user broke. A warranty isn't for people who destroy perfectly good products.

-Alex