synthetic pooptation?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by JohnDoe, Jan 24, 2005.

1. JohnDoe

JohnDoe Guest

First off my car is a 2002 Z28

I bought my car last year new, and when the odo hit 3k miles, I switched to synthetic after some reading and asking around. People said everything would have seated by this time. So everything's good, it comes to about 5k miles and I feel I should change the oil. I'm real busy with fulltime work and fulltime school at the university, so I have to take it to the dealer. I go to pick it up and I notice they put regular mobil non-synthetic in it. DOH.

Well, Im driving it around and I notice it has what seems to be a loud lifter tick? I figure its just gonig to go away, but it never does. So about a month later I change the oil back to mobil 1 syn. I notice some light metal shavings stuck to the drain plug magnet. WTF MATE. And I go to start up the car and there's still a tick. As of now, the car has about 10k miles on it.

My question is, do you think that the switch from synthetic to nonsynthetic caused this? I talked to the dealer and they said there's nothing they can do about it. What should I go about doing next?

2. NetChemica

NetChemica OT Supporter

How have you treated the car (honestly)? My buddy had a nasty ticking in in his 3800, now the car is in pieces while we replace two valves and a piston that were colliding with each other. He, however, was beating the shit out of it left and right. Now he's getting a brand new motor with stage2 internals.

3. JohnDoe

JohnDoe Guest

honestly I dont beat on it. I have floored it a couple times though. Would that cause it to break down?

4. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

I've heard that lifter tick is relatively common on LS1's.

5. JohnDoe

JohnDoe Guest

today was the first nice day in awhile, took it out to get it washed and its not making it anymore. GAY.. KILL ME

6. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

Welcome to the world of LS1's. :wavey: