Symantec NIS 2007 questionc

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mac, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Mac

Mac It varies from season to season, kid. OT Supporter

can i install this on vista safely? i get a dialogue about compatability issues..has anyone tried?

2. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Norton has really gone down hill in the last couple of years. Their software is bloatware and is notorious for conflicts with hardware, other programs and your deoderant. It doesn't surprise me one little bit that you had problems....I'm done with Norton....they just aren't any good anymore.

I have found PCcillin to be an excellent program but I haven't tried it with Vista. Perhaps you could d/l a demo copy of it and see if it works??

3. Mac

Mac It varies from season to season, kid. OT Supporter

screw it, i put kapersky on instead

4. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

I said the same thing about norton immediately after v. 2001.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition is a good product. NIS (loving called "Norton Anti-Productivity Suite" at my office) is not a good product. The difference? SAVCorp scans downloaded and modified files for spyware and viruses. NIS attempts to prevent the user from ever getting to where they could download files with spyware and viruses.

The problem with NIS' approach is that it presumes that the programmers know everything the user could ever legitimately (and safely) want to do with their computer, because that is the only way they could be able to distinguish unsafe behavior and stop it. SAVCorp lets the user do whatever they want, and if it runs across a problem, it deletes the problem before it has a chance to propagate. It's a much more effective approach.

In short, here are reasons not to buy NIS:

- You don't need a firewall, Windows already has one.
    - You don't need a realtime spyware scanner, you just need a scan-on-download scanner.
    - SAVCorp's virus scanner also scans for spyware, and it only scans files that are downloaded or modified, not files that have been sitting safely on your computer for months.
    - SAVCorp is a better anti-virus program than the "consumer-grade" Norton Antivirus is. That's why it's the "Corporate Edition".