Symantec ghost anyone?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by PSUPef2K, Aug 19, 2003.

1. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

I'm trying to create a base image for a server, but anytime I try and connect to the multicast server I get error 19906. I looked on symantecs page for this but it says something about a wattcp.cfg file, where i am supposed to add the line "receive_mode=6" , which I can't find.

Any suggestions?

2. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

I have, but it still gave me the same error, like i didn't even create it or something.

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

You may want to try the map network drive option - this is what I did anyway. 1) It's easier, 2) It will remove all doubt that it is a network issue and it is indeed a multi-cast server

4. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

lil help on that? I've only done multicasts...i'm using a dos boot disk btw

5. 5Gen_Prelude

If you go into Ghost->Ghost Utilities, there's a wizard that guides you thru making a network drive option via DOS (similar to the multi-cast option). The difference is you have in DOS, direct access to any number (by default it's one) network drives, just like you do in Windows. With the boot disk you can make it pretty much do anything you want (automatically start the image for example). The only real drawback of this method is it doesn't add the computers in smoothly since the image it was installing is ONE computer, where as multicast takes that into consderation and numbers the computers sequencially. So my way, you end up having to change the computer name once it boots up (not that big of a deal unless there are a LOT of computers).

As I said, it's one way of doing it, it's a little more manual but less things can go wrong. The only issue you will ever have is intially getting your network card to work in DOS, if you have the NDIS drivers, you are laughing. That's pretty obvious because once you restart if it doesn't ask and acknowledge your username and password on the domain, you know it's not working. As I said in my above post, at the very least you eliminate the possibility of a DOS/network issue if you do indeed like the multicast better.

6. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

How do I specify what file to dump the image to when using this method?

7. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

arghhh

Would you believe switching ethernet cords fixed the problem? :uh:

8. 5Gen_Prelude

Yes

To answer your original question, ghost.exe has many a command line, run it by itself and you can see all of them.