GUN SWPL IPSC Headcam 6-29-08

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by yar1182, Jun 30, 2008.

1. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

click image to play video 6mb wmv
    [​IMG]

Short fast paced video. For those that don't know SWPL (South West Pistol League) is the oldest and orginial club that that started IPSC. The range where the matches are held is the oldest range in California still in existance, dating back to the 1940. I not only shoot the match, but I design and build the stages (courses of fire). Just some IPSC, California, and Yar trivia.

2. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Holy balls

3. Camp OTE

Camp OTE New Member

4. Sloi

Sloi Back up in your ass with the resurrection

Conflict of interest, much? ;)

Do they take your in-depth knowledge of the course into consideration when they calculate your score?

5. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Good vid Yar, thanks for posting it up.

Mind asking how you ended up doing in the event?

6. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

Wow that looks like fun. I think its time I man up and buy a pistol.

7. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Actually it's a disadvantage. First I've been at the range since the but crack of dawn setting up. After I'm done I'm kind of spent. Then I got to rush and get geared up before the match.

Everyone else can get a sit down breakfast, arrive to the match, BS with buddies, get all their gear together and go shoot.

Because I "think" I know the stage I take shortcuts preparing to shoot it. While I might have the gist of what to do and how to do it. It's kind of tunnel vision. Some other shooters might analyse the stage and find a faster way to do it. what it comes down to it that I rarely win my own stages. Contary to popular belief I don't build stages to my strenghts. Actually I build them to my weaknesses. This is because I won't get better shooting my strenghts, I will get better improving my weaknesses.

8. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

you ever blame your misses on lag?

9. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Yeah I've done it. My friends and I are super competitive. Any match where I do the setup is a free pass. In other words they can't trash talked how they crushed me.

Things happen such as I cut my palm setting up, get my thumbs bashed, or my hands are numb from pounding steel spikes into the ground to hold down targets.

Regardless It's kind of my way to give back. It's not enough just to show up and pay your match fees. The shooters really appreciate the work I do and most people thank me for giving them good stages to shoot. I think it really kinds of expands my understanding of the sport. Most people look at a stage at whatever matches they are and just see what they have to do. I see other components like what skills it forces you to use, how the stage flows, how the stage balences with the other stages at the match.

10. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

that was an attempt at a joke btw...since your videos look so much like first person shooters, which is closest most of us come to doing something like this

11. Sloi

Sloi Back up in your ass with the resurrection

12. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

13. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

Yar.. any details on your headcam setup? I've been looking into getting one for a while now and was curious what you had. Anything you would or wouldn't do if you could do it again?

14. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Archos 604 wifi w/ the archos helmetcam. Right now I think it's the best thing out there for what I do.

15. AB13

AB13 New Member

Amen brother. I'm usually at the match 2 hours early or the day before setting up a stage or 3. The weekend of the single stack classic I put a drill through my index finger, put some super glue on it and kept working.

I shoot for free, but if anyone thinks that's my only objective doesn't realize I'd wipe my ass with $20 I'd rather be at home with my wife and daughter. It's volunteers that's there that makes this sport go round. Setting up a stage, and then engineering it so doesn't get gamed on is a bit of an art form, but I enjoy doing it. Indexing the barrels and targets, poppers and noshoots just rite. But I have historically done fairly well at the stages I build, because well, I just air gunned the stage for 3 hours the day before.

But good on you, and another awesome vid.

16. Camp OTE

Camp OTE New Member

Hey Yar-Sorry for being off topic but I was watching some of your other videos today and during one of the 3gun matches there were some steel silhouettes that you hit with the shotgun that would throw a clay when it fell. What are they called? I'm trying to find some for our little local club.

17. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

http://www.mgmtargets.com/

http://www.dswelding.com/

They are called "clay throwing poppers". At 3 gun matches we call them throwers for short. There are two flavors the MGM and the DS Welding. The DS welding throws them kind of low and the MGM really launches them. Both are cool in that you have to time them differently.