switching to verizon

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ChosenGSR, Oct 25, 2004.

1. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

I've been a nextel customer for years and now I am ready to switch over to verizon. The reason is I need the in-calling since everyone I know has verizon. I want to roll over my number, how hard is that to do now a days? Also, I am a motorola fan so I was looking at the 710 but it says it's sold out on the verizon website... What is the best way for me to go about making my switch? Go to a verizon dealer at the mall or go through their website? any suggestions on that motorola phone?

thanks! :wavey:

2. oakie

oakie my ninja.

do NOT cancel your current service and go to a Verizon Wireless store and commit to a contract, let them know you want to end your Nextel plan. they will do the transfer from there and you'll receive a cancel notice from Nextel in the coming days.

calls may go to either phone for a few hours/days as the handover is in progress.

3. ChosenGSR

:cool:

So is it still true that Motorola phones get the best reception? A few buddies of mine just got new featured phones for verizon (not motorola) and they reception is worse than what it was with the older larger phones. I was always told stick with motorola since their phones have the best reception :dunno:

4. Gai

Gai New Member

Depends on your area...and the phone itself too. Motorola makes some good ones and lately, since farming out production some real turds as well.

The flagship Moto V710 for Verizon has been less than stellar. Heck, the LG's have begun to steal the thunder...the VX7000 and VX6100 have been good performers so far. Do you need analog still? That will play a factor in your choice as well(some phones are still tri band , great if you live in some crappy area). Motorola V60's have good reception. The T720 (No longer avail from VZ) was kinda so so...The V710...well, not sure about the reception but build quality has been less than stellar. My brother has had it for 2 months and is regretting it.

What phones did your friends get? All carriers and manufacturers have good and crappy phones.

5. ChosenGSR

I think one of them was a samsung and one was LG, I am not sure on the models... What does your bro not like about the V710?

I don't really care if its a triband, I don't think i'll ever need to use analog.

6. ChosenGSR

I've been reading alot about the v710 and it seems it has been recalled due to problems. However looking over the list of phones verizon has to offer I don't see anything else feature wise that catches my eye. The LG has a 0.3megapixel camera vs. the v710 that has a 1.3, and the LG does not play MP3 ring tones. hmmm...

7. Cosmic Bandito

Cosmic Bandito OT Supporter

The only thing I dislike about the 710, is verizon crippling bluetooth, other than that I havent had anyproblems with it .

8. Gai

Gai New Member

My brother's phone has the same problems that many have had. The camera is off, the supposed 1.3 MP camera looks like crap (Possibly bad optics, or the mis aligned problem that they are recalling), not even as good as the old LG 6000. The hinge creaks, the keys scratch the screen...just kinda shoddy for a high priced phone. My brother doesn't use the Bluetooth but if it wassn't crippled, I would have. Too bad the other things cripple it even more. I wanted to get the 710 but after my brother's experience and so many other's I've played with...I'm a little weary especially since my T720 was such a dissapointment.

The LG 7000 can indeed play mp3's as ringtones...Not sure about the new 6100, however. If you really need a 1.3 MP camera, the LG VX8000 will be out soon.

After handling the new LG's, I'm impressed.

http://www.mobiledia.com/reviews/lg/vx7000/page1.html

Check the Howard Forums too...that's the absolute best place to find all the phone cell answers you need.

9. ChosenGSR

Yeah, I am actually liking the new LG 6100 ... Something to look into