Switching to Macbook?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mike00, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

I'm due to get a new laptop just for internet and a few other things around house and me and the gf are looking at macbooks.

Now my sister has one and she loves it and I have to admit it's pretty nice. The thing I'm wondering what are some reasons to switch from windows to Mac (I'm not looking to do gaming on it). Because from what I can tell I will be spending more money to get into the mac.

Also if I do go with the Macbook the base model should I add anything to the specs like ram etc? Or is it fine how comes?

2. LOLZILLA

LOLZILLA New Member

It's perfect out of the box unless you're a stickler for super high performance and you need the extra horse power.

3. LOLZILLA

LOLZILLA New Member

Don't ever buy ram from apple. Get it from a 3rd party vendor like crucial, because you will save a ton of money.

4. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

Well true enough for anything there.

Now the real thing I need to figure out is if I need office for Mac. All I really would like a is a semi decent MS money like program and word processor thats on the mac is probably fine.

Well that and a decent case.

5. artistry727

artistry727 OT ftw

You will be very happy if you switch to a mac. You'll find that the OS runs a lot smoother and uses a lot less ram. It will start up and restart faster than your pc also. Also programs are much easier to install on a mac, all you do is drag the file into the applications folder and its installed. No one writes virus's for macs so you wont have to worry about any anti virus software either. Believe me the money you will spend is well worth it. If you are just using it for internet and stuff like that, dont bother buying more ram than the 1gb that came in it. I bought my macbook with 1gb of ram and then bought another gb. I am running 2gb now, I really didnt notice much of a difference there. I vote yes on the mac.

btw PA crew :werd:

6. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

Well then seems next weekend I'm buying a macbook and gf will be getting one too.

Now to figure out what software/accessories I'll be needing things like Adium.

Anybody know of any really good laptop bags? My old laptop was a gaming one hence heavy so I never otok it anywhere. reason I want the mac is portability and now I need to find a good case.

Oh and AppleCare Warranty should I get it?

7. IMAJANATION

IMAJANATION New Member

ditto

8. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Adium & Transmission should be on your list to get.