Switching phones with AT&T

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by RyeLou, Apr 10, 2009.

1. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I have an E51 that I use AT&T's service with. I have a N85 on the way. Do I have to go in to the store to activate the phone, or do I just switch the sim card and all that over and I'm good to go?

I've only had Verizon in the past so sim cards are new to me. This will be the first time I've switched phones on the AT&T network.

Edit: Both are unlocked phones, don't know if that matters.

2. [dRu]

[dRu] Active Member

No you won't need to activate the phone. You might want to do a little googling to find the AT&T MMS/SMS/internet settings for the N85 online, but that should be easy.

I'm actually looking into getting an unlocked Nokia E71 soon, and I'm really glad that the 3G supports AT&T's bands :hs:

3. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I've been fairly happy with my E51. I've had it about 6 months or so. It was fairly inexpensive so I figured I'd give the unlocked/no contract thing a try.

I like the iPhone for all the apps, but I can't deal with the touchscreen for email/texting. The N85 seems fair priced plus there is $50 rebate through Nokia through 4/30 so now is as good of time as any.

At the AT&T store I got my E51 set up at, the guy who helped me has an E71 and his boss has a N95. He swears by the E71 though, I'm sure you'll be happy. I don't like the full keyboard. I just hope the camera quality is noticeable going from the E51 to N85 (which it easily should be)

Edit: As for the original question, shouldn't the settings be more or less the same as what I have in the E51 already? I'd assume. I will search around to make sure though.

4. [dRu]

[dRu] Active Member

Yeah, I have a Samsung Eternity right now and I'm not a big fan. The whole touchscreen thing is ok, but since the Eternity has a resistive screen instead of a capacitive screen (ie. iPhone, BB Storm, etc) you have to really press down sometimes for the signal to register :ugh:

If you bought your E51 from AT&T, they come configured out of the box to use for their system. There are a couple small settings you have to change so the network will route your SMS/MMS messages correctly, but I'm willing to bet you don't HAVE to change them. It will probably make things run smoothly (ie. no delayed messages, no message errors, etc).

If you plan on using the internet on the N85 you should really make sure that it supports AT&T's 3G bands. My unlocked Sony Ericsson supports the 3G system in Europe but not here, and EDGE is FTL :down:

5. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

The E51 was an unlocked phone. I actually initially had it set up by the guy at the AT&T store, although I found out yesterday he somewhat fucked me over. Isn't the end of the world but if I ever want to get an iPhone or something I'll have to sign a contract for it will be a pain in the ass.

Anyhow, both the E51 and the N85 are designed for the US network and HSDPA. I did a lot of research at www.gsmarena.com before I bought either. There were a few phones I liked but wouldn't have worked on the 3G network.